Micro Color Panel bugs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Santiago Rodriguez

Micro Color Panel bugs

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:02 pm

I just got the new Micro Color Panel today and I have noticed a bunch of bugs:

1. Most of the keys/controls are not working as expected: Examples:
  • OFFSET key goes to the Camera RAW page.
  • AUTO COLOR key switches the primary controls (Color wheels, bars and log)
  • COPY key switches the HDR controls (wheels/Zone graphs)
  • DISABLE key is bypassing the colour correction
  • BYPASS key toggles the Fx Effects library panel.
  • etc.

The only keys that seem to work properly are the RESET LIFT/GAMMA/GAIN, ADD NODE, ADD WINDOW.

On the other hand, the panel goes into sleep mode after a while when not using it (like browsing in another window for 5 minutes) and the only way to turn it on again is to re-connect the USB-C cable.

I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6 on Mac OS Sonoma on a M1 Max and I am connected to the panel via USB-C.

Is there something that I can do? Like a new firmware or Davinci Resolve update? Or do I have a faulty unit?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Micro Color Panel bugs

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:25 am

The micro color panel is fully supported on v19 and not designed for previous versions.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

beachboybry

PostThu May 09, 2024 1:50 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The micro color panel is fully supported on v19 and not designed for previous versions.

I have mine pre-ordered from Thomann to ship to me here in Ireland & I can't wait to try it on DR 19! Peter do you know when Thomann and the EU will get this in stock to ship?

John Richard

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:59 pm

Had the same issue trying to use the new Micro Color Panel in DR 18.6.
Since I was between projects, I updated to the DR 19.2 beta and the panel works perfectly.

After a few days of using it I'm happy to report the Micro Color Panel is a great tool. Greatly speeds up work on the Color Page, Very well thought out tool. Gallery Wipes for matching, moving clip to clip, basic Lift-Gamma_Gain exposure/color shift adjustments are so accurate and can be juxtaposed at the same time with 2 hands compared to back and forth with a fiddly mouse.

rhinOC

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:42 pm

Not sure if anyone knows yet, but the Micro works great on my MacPro 16" running iOS 17 beta, but I can't get it to control Resolve on my 12.9" gen 5 iPad, also running the latest beta. Do I need to buy the iPad Studio version or do we need to wait until the next release? It's connected through bluetooth, but the panel is unaware/unresponsive of it being connected. I've seen Youtube videos of people using it with iPad so it seems like it should be working.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 09, 2024 4:01 pm

How's it work with the HDR wheels, John? You have access to all 7?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2024 1:59 am

rhinOC wrote:Not sure if anyone knows yet, but the Micro works great on my MacPro 16" running iOS 17 beta, but I can't get it to control Resolve on my 12.9" gen 5 iPad, also running the latest beta. Do I need to buy the iPad Studio version or do we need to wait until the next release? It's connected through bluetooth, but the panel is unaware/unresponsive of it being connected. I've seen Youtube videos of people using it with iPad so it seems like it should be working.

The Micro Color Panel is design for v19 and when we release the iPad version, subject to Apple certification, it works with Resolve on iPad. The same as you have now. Hopefully very soon.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Richard

PostFri May 10, 2024 2:03 am

Jim - just checked the Quick Start Guide and no info on that
So I opened up a test project and was happy to learn you CAN adjust all the HDR exposure (outside ring on panel) and color shifts (track balls).

You can adjust the HDR Global Master Exposure Ring and Master Color track ball by pressing the Offset button on the Micro Color Panel. (Correction from original post.)

The key is this:
In the HDR section you have 4 ring exposure and track ball color adjustments showing.
The Global functions when the Micro Color Panel "Offset" button is activated (glows green).
The first 3 left to right sections showing when you have the HDR section open, rings and trackballs DO function.
As when using a mouse in HDR, you access which of these 3 HDR areas you would like to adjust at the menu bar just above the HDR wheels and track balls. (black, dark, shadow, light, highlight, specular).

So now I have even a higher opinion of this $500 panel.

Stated differently:
Just like the standard Lift-Gamma-Gain Primary section function you can adjust exposure/color shifts dependant on what you have open in the HDR panel.
The standard Lift-Gamma-Gain Primary section you can adjust Offset with the two shift Up and Down buttons on the panel. In the HDR section you adjust the Global wheel and track ball with activating the Offset button on the Micro Color Panel.

All and all I am very happy with with what this affordable panel can do.
And thanks for this question because I just learned the HDR panel (which has more finite areas of adjustment) can be used with the Micro Color Panel. Good thinking with your question Jim!
Last edited by John Richard on Sat May 11, 2024 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rhinOC

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:20 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
rhinOC wrote:Not sure if anyone knows yet, but the Micro works great on my MacPro 16" running iOS 17 beta, but I can't get it to control Resolve on my 12.9" gen 5 iPad, also running the latest beta. Do I need to buy the iPad Studio version or do we need to wait until the next release? It's connected through bluetooth, but the panel is unaware/unresponsive of it being connected. I've seen Youtube videos of people using it with iPad so it seems like it should be working.

The Micro Color Panel is design for v19 and when we release the iPad version, subject to Apple certification, it works with Resolve on iPad. The same as you have now. Hopefully very soon.

I deleted and reinstalled the Resolve app on my iPad and it then connected immediately via BT. I understand we're waiting for 19 and that's cool. My concern was it wouldn't connect at all before that. All is well now. On iPad it functions well enough for me to get a feel as to how responsive and precise it's going to be. That's all I really wanted to check before upgrading to iPad Resolve Studio which I also did today. What a great little panel! Looking forward to 19 on iPad. Thanks!

Jim Simon

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm

John Richard wrote:it doesn't appear you can adjust the Global
:( That might kill it for me.

Appreciate the testing, though. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

nweaver

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

There’s offset, both chroma and level via key combo.

John Richard

PostSat May 11, 2024 12:03 am

nweaver wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

There’s offset, both chroma and level via key combo.

nWeaver: when you say "offset" are you referring to the Primaries - Color Wheels or to the High Dynamic Range - Color Wheels panel?

If you are referring to the "Global" in the HDR Color Wheels panel you are correct (and I was wrong); pressing Micro Color Panel "Offset" button does allow the Global exposure ring and color track ball to work.
Thank you nWeaver for finding that.
So Jim, your need for the HDR Global to work is fulfilled. All 7 track balls and rings function.

I will edit my incorrect info in my post above so as not to mislead anyone.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 11, 2024 2:13 pm

John Richard wrote:pressing Micro Color Panel "Offset" button does allow the Global exposure ring and color track ball to work.

woohoo.png
woohoo.png (55.18 KiB) Viewed 387 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

SteveMullen

Re: Micro Color Panel Scopes

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:39 am

i have always used Color Bars with the Parade Scope -- and Vector Scope.

What are the correct scope(s) to use with the MCP?

PS-- isn't v19 still full of bugs?

John Richard

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:41 am

Thanks is due to nWeaver who found this functioning for the HDR Global.

Jim Simon

Re: Micro Color Panel Scopes

PostMon May 13, 2024 12:11 am

SteveMullen wrote:isn't v19 still full of bugs?
How do you define "full"?

There are bugs, but I'm still getting work done. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve