Exporting Indvidual Clips way bigger than original files!!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sfirak

Exporting Indvidual Clips way bigger than original files!!

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:50 pm

Hello!

I loaded up some GH5 footage (4k @ 59.95fps, 1.08 Gb/s data rate, Apple ProRes 422), color corrected them and I set up a timeline at 1080p 29.97 fps. I go to export all the individual clips as Apple ProRes 422 at an automatic bitrate (I've tried setting it at 10,000 kbps) and I'm getting crazy results.

The original capture files add up to about 320 GB.

I have about 650 GB available on my SSD so I think everything's going to be fine with the lower quality clips. Resolve says it will fill up to 125% of disk space. So I target my larger, slower drive that has 3TB available. Resolve then says it will fill up 662% of the disk space!!! What!???? It's just at regular Apple ProRes 422, 1080p @ 29.97 and an automatic bitrate.

What's going on here??????

Thank you for any insights!

Steve

ZRGARDNE

Re: Exporting Indvidual Clips way bigger than original files

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:12 am

sfirak wrote:Resolve says it will fill up to 125% of disk space. So I target my larger, slower drive that has 3TB available. Resolve then says it will fill up 662% of the disk space!!! What!???? I

Those targets have never really worked. Render out a few and see if they are the size you expect.

I believe the default for individual clips is source resolution. So setting a 1080p timeline won't do anything if you don't change that.

I would expect a 4k PR422 file in and 4k PR422 file out to be basically the same bitrate.

sfirak

PostThu May 16, 2024 10:57 pm

Thank you for the response! I appreciate it.

I was unable to Add to Render Queue at one point when the target percentage was over but I was able to just recently. I'm just worried that I'll need to export clips and it'll not work when I need it most.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 17, 2024 12:18 am

Your GH5 footage is ProRes??? :o
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve