Database Connect Feature in Davinci 19

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

HughDiMauro

Database Connect Feature in Davinci 19

PostThu May 09, 2024 12:28 pm

I know how to reconnect to an existing database by using the connect feature. BUT, how does one connect to an existing database that had been cut and pasted to a different hard drive on the system? I tested this out and this is what I'd discovered:

1) The database connect feature works flawlessly when reconnecting to an existing databse that had been created on an original drive.

2) The database connect feature makes me rename the database when I try to connect to a database that I had CUT and PASTED and SAVED (for archival purposes) to another hard drive on my same system. So, my questions is, if the database name had always been the same, why will Davinci not allow me to connect to the exact same database that I had just duplicated and moved to another hard drive without having to rename it? (FYI, I am not talking about restoring a database that had been backed up through the backup/restore feature). Thank you!

Joe Shapiro

Re: Database Connect Feature in Davinci 19

PostThu May 09, 2024 5:56 pm

You can’t use a name that’s already in use.
So I’m guessing that you have the old database still attached and thus it won’t let you use the same name.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

HughDiMauro

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:17 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:You can’t use a name that’s already in use.
So I’m guessing that you have the old database still attached and thus it won’t let you use the same name.

Here's the thing, when I use the database connect feature under normal circumstances, I need not type in the database name. I just navigate to the folder where it's saved, double click and, voila! It restores. Let me see if I can explain better:

1) When I originally created the database, I saved it to a drive called "E: Davinci Projects." I copied and pasted the saved project files to two other hard drives, F and G, in case the E drive crapped the bed.

2) I got rid of the original databse on E (because I wanted to use E for something else) and attempted to connect to the copied database files on the F drive but it would not allow me to just connect to it. It wanted me to rename it.

Was it because Davinci didn't like me attempting to connect to a file I had moved to a different hard drive, from E to F?

Joe Shapiro

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:36 pm

It’s because Resolve is now connected to that original database. Deleting it from the disk doesn’t remove the connection from Resolve. You can remove it yourself by showing the databases in the Projects Manager and removing the old entries.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

HughDiMauro

PostMon May 13, 2024 1:13 am

Thank you, Mr. Shapiro. I'll try that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta