Davinci Resolve status on Linux with Intel ARC 770

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

goldyfruit

Davinci Resolve status on Linux with Intel ARC 770

PostThu May 09, 2024 1:47 pm

Hi there :)

I would like to know the position of Blackmagic about the current status of Davinci Resolve 18.x/19b (Free and Studio) on Linux with Intel ARC 770 GPU.

To give a bit more of context, I'm a Linux user for the past 20 years. I have been running Davinci Resolve in the past on Fedora 37/38/39 with a Nvidia GTX 970 (CUDA) and everything was working as expected. I recently switched to an Intel ARC 770 GPU which supports OpenCL, the GPU is detected by Davinci Resolve but I can't see any preview or play any content.

A bit of light from Blackmagic support team would be really appreciated as I would like to know if I'm wasting my time with this Intel GPU.

Thanks \o/

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Resolve status on Linux with Intel ARC 770

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm

The minimum requirements for a Linux system include a discrete Nvidia or AMD card with manufacturer drivers. Intel cards are unsupported.

goldyfruit

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:29 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:The minimum requirements for a Linux system include a discrete Nvidia or AMD card with manufacturer drivers. Intel cards are unsupported.

Thanks Shrinivas.

This raise then a new question, since AMD and Intel both use OpenCL, is there any plan to support Intel Arc GPUs on Linux?

smunaut

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:05 pm

Well the ball is not really in BMD's camp ATM.

The intel OpenCL driver were, until recently, missing a critical extension : CL/GL data sharing.
I did add support for that extension and I can get resolve running on my intel iGPU (in my laptop).
( It's not a great experience obviously, it's a small iGPU but it runs and I can do basic tasks ).

Now in theory this same driver is used by Intel Arc and with that patch, the situation improves and you can get things on the viewers and scope. But due to some different handling in the tiling memory format between CL and GL, this is currently buggy. I don't have Intel Arc hardware to debug this issue, so someone else will need to debug this issue further.

Intel have already pointed out that although they're fine with merging patches for that feature, they currently don't plan to dedicate any engineering time to support/improve this feature on linux. So it's unlikely they're going to fix it themselves.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

goldyfruit

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:30 pm

smunaut wrote:Well the ball is not really in BMD's camp ATM.

The intel OpenCL driver were, until recently, missing a critical extension : CL/GL data sharing.
I did add support for that extension and I can get resolve running on my intel iGPU (in my laptop).
( It's not a great experience obviously, it's a small iGPU but it runs and I can do basic tasks ).

Now in theory this same driver is used by Intel Arc and with that patch, the situation improves and you can get things on the viewers and scope. But due to some different handling in the tiling memory format between CL and GL, this is currently buggy. I don't have Intel Arc hardware to debug this issue, so someone else will need to debug this issue further.

Intel have already pointed out that although they're fine with merging patches for that feature, they currently don't plan to dedicate any engineering time to support/improve this feature on linux. So it's unlikely they're going to fix it themselves.

Thanks Sylvain for the update and the PR on GitHub!
I guess, I will try to find an AMD or Nvidia GPU on Ebay :mrgreen:

goldyfruit

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:51 pm

Switching back to my GTX 970 worked out of the box (with Nvidia driver installed of course).

Return to DaVinci Resolve