pan around not working with Color page (Mac)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JimCurtis

pan around not working with Color page (Mac)

PostThu May 09, 2024 7:30 pm

I'm not sure if this is a Ventura or a Resolve 19 issue, but...

Clicking and holding the center button on an Apple mouse no longer lets me pan around a zoomed in image in the Color page. It was working with Monterey and Resolve 18.

I can use the middle button / ball to zoom in, but not pan around / reposition the image in the viewer.

Does anybody know the culprit, and if possible, what I can do about it? I need to pan around to make Power Windows, and track them.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 13.6.6 • Resolve Studio 19.0B 25

Peter Cave

Re: pan around not working with Color page (Mac)

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:34 pm

Check your Mac system mouse settings. Middle Click button has options for assignment.
Resolve 19.0 b2 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

JimCurtis

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:42 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Check your Mac system mouse settings. Middle Click button has options for assignment.

Thank you. I've learned the upgrade to Ventura reset a few items in the System Settings.

For a few years now, I have kept a wired USB mouse attached JUST for panning around in the Color page.

In both Monterey and Ventura, I can only adjust the wired mouse settings if the Bluetooth (Magic) Mouse is disconnected or off.

Even with it disconnected, the ball on the wired mouse has no effect on panning in the Color page viewer, likely because the Button 3 option is no longer present in Ventura. I just checked it on a Mini with Monterey, and Button 3 can be assigned to the Mouse ball there.

I think that means this is a Ventura issue. Rats. I need to pan around in the Color page. I can't revert to Monterey and Resolve 18 because the colorist I work with has upgraded and I needed to follow suit to open his projects on my system.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 13.6.6 • Resolve Studio 19.0B 25

mickspixels

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:52 pm

Have you got an Apple Magic Mouse? If so, try holding command-shift while flick panning on the top of the mouse. Unless things have changed in Resolve 19 (I'm on 18.6), this works in Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. Command and flicking up or down does a tilt.

Peter Cave

PostFri May 10, 2024 10:46 pm

The middle click mouse options were all working fine on my Ventura Mac. Sonoma works the same. I would be looking for a different issue as I doubt it's the OS causing the problem.

BTW Are you aware that the panning in the Color Page viewer is Middle click, hold and drag? It's not using the scrolling of the ball.
Resolve 19.0 b2 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

JimCurtis

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:29 am

mickspixels wrote:Have you got an Apple Magic Mouse? If so, try holding command-shift while flick panning on the top of the mouse. Unless things have changed in Resolve 19 (I'm on 18.6), this works in Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. Command and flicking up or down does a tilt.

OK, this works on a Magic Mouse - cmd-shift-swipe LR for pan, and cmd-swipe up or down to tilt. I hate it, but that will let me do what I need to do. Thank you!

JimCurtis

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:30 am

Peter Cave wrote:
BTW Are you aware that the panning in the Color Page viewer is Middle click, hold and drag? It's not using the scrolling of the ball.

Yes, I knew that. The ball is also a button. Thank you.

Uli Plank

PostSat May 11, 2024 8:33 am

I can't reproduce the issue here with an ergonomic BT mouse for PC (I hate the Apple one).
(Neither in 19b2).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mickspixels

PostSat May 11, 2024 4:17 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I hate the Apple one).

Me I greatly dislike (abhor) the old three button mice myself :D. This was one thing I found really strange when learning Resolve - the continued use of button mice which seem very dated in the world of the Mac.

I agree that the original Apple Magic Mice with AA batteries were horrible but the second generation ones are really easy to use IMO - pretty much like using a trackpad. You can skim around really fast by running a finger over the top of the mouse as well as zoom. I first started using these in Photoshop for flick panning.

Return to DaVinci Resolve