Imported Images Show as Offline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

stevechilcote

Imported Images Show as Offline

PostThu May 09, 2024 9:38 pm

Mac OS. Macnook Pro. I had this issue with Resolve 18.6 and I wasnt able to solve it. I installed 19 Beta and still have same issue.

I have a folder of images on my desktop. All .jpeg format. I import them to the media folder for the new project and about 1/3 of the show as MEDIA OFFLINE. They are all on the local drive and in a simple folder on my desktop. I clear the directory and try again with the same result. I have noticed that it appears to be the same files every time.

When I go to the folder they are all there. I can seem in the preview and open them in any app i choose. Resolve just refuses to see them.

What am I missing?

Two screen caps. 1. Media folder. 2. Mac OS folder
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.36.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.36.49 PM.png (68.2 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Uli Plank

Re: Imported Images Show as Offline

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:27 am

What happens if you open them in any other app, like Preview, and save them again?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Sean Nelson

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:58 am

stevechilcote wrote:...import them to the media folder for the new project and about 1/3 of the show as MEDIA OFFLINE...

Two screen caps. 1. Media folder. 2. Mac OS folder

I only see one screen cap.

If the problem always happens with the same files, and if other files appear without a problem, I would suspect some sort of issue with those particular files. Uli's suggesting of loading and saving them with a different application seems to me like it would be worth trying.

Do the problem files have anything in common? For example, were they taken with a different camera than the others, or did they come from a different source?
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

stevechilcote

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:34 pm

Ok.....here is where I am.

1. I checked a dozen of the images and they all open n Photoshop as HEIC even though the extensions says its a JPEG. When I open a JPEG it just says JPEG like you would expect. So I think that is what I am going to pursue. Thanks Uli for the direction!

2. Is there a free app that batch process and resaves photos? I have a very old version of light room but it crashes when I load a file so I think its no longer compatible with this version of MacOS. I do alot of photo image work so I dont want to purchase a copy ofl lightroom or do the subscription unless I need too.

stevechilcote

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:47 pm

My reply post seems ot have disappeared.

OK....It looks like Uli is right. When I open the files in photoshop elements they open as an HEIC file first even though they say JPG. SO I am going to pursue this now.

I have a very old copy of Lightroom (Ver 5) I use to use to batch save files. It crashes on this MacOS version. Are there any free apps out there that would let me export all of the files and resave them in one shot? I dont do this professionally so I dont wan tto buy LR again if I dont have too.

Uli Plank

PostSat May 11, 2024 12:59 am

Apple’s Preview does. Just open your stills, mark all on the left, and do an Export.
I don’t know if it’ll handle hundreds at once, but a few dozens are fine.
If you need something very capable, there’s Graphic Converter, but it’s not free.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

stevechilcote

PostThu May 16, 2024 3:33 am

I was finally able to get back to this. Picked up a case of covid sitting in charlotte airport :(

Ultimately i used apple photos. I was able to manage small batches and got them converted. Big thanks Uli!

Uli Plank

PostThu May 16, 2024 9:12 am

Glad to help. Hope you were ‘vaxed’ and doing fine again!

Return to DaVinci Resolve