Unusual Audio Distortion in a recording

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Darryl

Unusual Audio Distortion in a recording

PostFri May 10, 2024 12:34 am

I have a distortion issue that I have never come across before and am hoping that someone may have a fix or workaround for it.

I normally have alternate recordings as backups but they didn't happen in this one case. There were backups for the other 3 recordings in the session, but not this one! I did spot check the recordings during the session, but this didn't show itself until I was in the edit suite. I guess there was enough other noise in the studio to hide it.

Description
The distortion sounds like clipping distortion, however it is a very low levels, and ironically the softer volumes have worse distortion. Maybe it has been added to the chain in the later stages and the softer sections don't mask it?

Configuration:
4 overhead mics feeding into a Behringer XR16 mixer.
Mixed down to pseudo stereo and routed to AUX 3/4 + Main LR
Aux 3 connected to a Studio Pro Camera XLR input, and Aux 4 to a second Studio Pro
Both Studio Pro Cameras (and others) connected to an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO - Inputs 3 and 4.
One of the USB's connected to an external SSD for recording purposes.
The second USB sent to a Win laptop as a webcam input to vMix where titles and graphics were added, and then recorded.

The problem:
The recordings on the laptop have the distortion. The ATEM recordings on SSD and the on camera recordings do not. (I used these alternate audio recordings in 3 of the 4 clips and problem avoided.)
The best description I have for the distortion is that it sound like an old speaker cone that has lost it's flexibility and just distorts at any level volume.

"Repairs"
In Fairlight I have tried several options. All of them have made some improvement but not enough.
1. Izotope RX 10 tools. Both individually and also in automatic repair mode.
2. Voice Isolation. This still leaves in some of the distortion but also introduces artifacts that are worse than the original distortion. Tried at various levels.
3. Noise reduction. Similar results to Voice Isolation.
4. Equalisation. This seems to be a broad band distortion and it's hard to find a notch filter that works. In experimenting with a low pass filter just to identify where the noise is, it seems to start at around 400Hz and just keeps going right into the upper frequencies.

Any ideas to minimise the distortion?

I would like to save the recording if possible. This was an unscripted discussion. We could do a re-shoot but it will not be exactly the same, and re-shoots for unscripted sessions tend to lose the fire and enthusiasm of the original.

I will look at the root cause later when I have the editing sorted out.

thanks,
Darryl.
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Reynaud Venter

Re: Unusual Audio Distortion in a recording

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:23 pm

Can you include a link to a sample of the source audio?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve