How can I render magic mask in timeline without losing it?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Sm417

How can I render magic mask in timeline without losing it?

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:18 am

Hi everyone!

I've had Davinci for about 2 weeks and I'm loving it.

I just started using fusion because I wanted to clone myself, so I used the Magic Mask. It works well, however when I go back to the editing timeline, it gets really laggy and I can't see if I have to do some adjustments to the mask.

I tried to Render in Place, but then the transparent background disappears: I end up with my mask and a black background (which is useless). Tried to put it into a compound clip and then render but didn't work either.

I also tried quarter proxy, didn't help either.

I'm running Davinci on M1 Max 32GB RAM so I doubt that it is because of my processor.

I just need help with the rendering of the magic mask, so I can see how it looks and where to do the adjustment.

Anyone to help? Would appreciate it so much because I'm going crazy about this!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 07.58.35.png
Here is my timeline, with the three layers of masks + a 4th layer with no one on it, where the masks would end up on. Two of the masks are cut at because I freeze framed their ending.
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 07.58.35.png (859.25 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Steve Alexander

Re: How can I render magic mask in timeline without losing i

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:32 am

Maybe you could cache the magic mask node in Fusion to speed things up? There are many posts on this forum describing approaches to this workflow. For example, some advocate that you use a SAVER node in Fusion to save out the magic mask node results and then bring them back in as an image sequence with alpha. Some workflows are a bit complex for someone just starting out. I'm sure there's a YouTube video illustrating various techniques and if not, there should be since this topic comes up quite often. Cheers.

Btw - the 'Render-in-Place' issue with alpha turning black is probably because you didn't select a render codec that supports alpha such as ProRes 4444 or DNxHR 444, etc.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 11, 2024 12:19 am

Here was a past discussion on how to permanently render the Magic Mask matte, export it as an actual matte, then bring it back in as an External Matte and attach it to the shot. That way, it never has to be re-rendered or re-tracked.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=200472
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Uli Plank

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:18 am

Seconded, that's how we do it all the time.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve