Best practices for relinking to moved media?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

Best practices for relinking to moved media?

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:22 am

tl;dr -- what is the best way to connect to media in a new location when the original media is still available (so footage isn't offline, and the Relink Media tool isn't available)?

long version… 

I work off a Synology NAS, and utilize the Synology Drive function to locally cache part of my NAS to my laptop. This allows me to import to a local destination (in a ~/Library/CloudStorage/SynologyDrive-ProjectMedia/etc folder) which is seamlessly synced to the NAS, and then edit from the local cache even when the NAS isn't present (it's a laptop). Then when I'm done with a project, I flush the locally cached media in Synology Drive, and reconnect to the original media on the NAS itself. Wonderful workflow.

Reconnecting hundreds or thousands of files that have been copied to a new destination is easy once you see the red broken-chain icon in Resolve. It asks where the media is, and you point to a top level folder, and assuming you haven't rearranged the media, it finds everything. Easy.

In my specific situation though, once I flush the Synology Drive local cache, the media does in fact show as offline in Resolve -- but not for long. The aliases (symlinks) are still there and that's what Resolve is connected to, and macOS will happily start re-downloading those files.

So I need to reconnect all my media without relying on the Relink Media tool (the tool that comes up when you click the red broken-chain). I don't want to go bin by bin, selecting media, and choosing a new Source Folder. Relink Media would require the same steps -- bin by bin.

I may be able to dump cache, open Resolve, and quickly use the Relink Media tool, but invariably some media will get re-cached. It's a 10gbps network, so it doesn't take long. Then I'd have to do a search for individual files that are linked to the local storage, but man that's a tedious process.

So, what is the best way to connect to media in a new location when the original media is still available (so footage isn't offline, and the Relink Media tool isn't available)?

-Joseph
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Steve Alexander

Re: Best practices for relinking to moved media?

PostFri May 10, 2024 12:27 pm

I select the bin containing the media I want to relink and select 'Relink clips for selected bin' and then browse to the alternate folder location. I do this in the media page but you can also perform this task in the edit page's media pool.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

PhotoJoseph

Re: Best practices for relinking to moved media?

PostFri May 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I select the bin containing the media I want to relink and select 'Relink clips for selected bin' and then browse to the alternate folder location. I do this in the media page but you can also perform this task in the edit page's media pool.

oh!! I did not know that was there! Perfect, thank you!
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve