Adjustment Layer with dynamic zoom cuts off sides

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dave4443

Adjustment Layer with dynamic zoom cuts off sides

PostFri May 10, 2024 1:09 pm

I don't remember this happening before I updated so correct me if I'm wrong

If I use dynamic zoom in a vertical timeline with something that has had it's position changed, the zoom will begin to cut off the sides off the video, ignoring all the extra information that is there

As an example I've zoomed out on the adjustment layer here, although the video is horizontal, it's treating it in relation to the timeline proportions.

Has it always been like this?
Attachments
BLACKMAGIC.png
BLACKMAGIC.png (376.12 KiB) Viewed 812 times

bryantocara

Re: Adjustment Layer with dynamic zoom cuts off sides

PostFri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm

I don't know if it's always been like this, but I noticed the same thing fairly recently as well.

Could be a feature request.

My conclusion is that using dynamic zoom on an adjustment layer is destructive in the sense that it breaks resolution independence and reverts to whatever the timeline is set at (unlike when you place dynamic zoom directly on the clip).

I've made a note to myself that it is only safe to use on an adjustment layer if the timeline and source resolutions are exactly the same.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostFri May 10, 2024 2:26 pm

Dynamic Zoom is one of those effects that probably should be applied directly to the clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bryantocara

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:48 pm

That's what we're saying, there's a difference when there is versus when there isn't. A feature request could be to change that.

I'll give you an example of a scenario when you wouldn't want to place it directly on the clip:

You've used a bunch of well placed smooth cuts to hide edit points of every time you've taken out someone's "ums". Yes, switching angles is usually the way to go to hide something like that, but if the interviewee's "um" problem is very bad, you would have to cut back and forth between angles multiple times before they finish even a single sentence. That would cause more distraction. So, back to using smooth cuts to fix the problem. You've done that, so now you want to add a little motion, because technically, it's perceived as one clip by the viewer (if the cuts are well placed).

Putting dynamic zoom individually on each clip will not work in this case. So, the next best thing is to put it on an adjustment layer over the 4 or 5 clips that need to be treated as one long push-in shot of the person talking.

Another reason you would want to use adjustment layers is that you can easily copy and paste the same dynamic zoom settings (maybe with slightly different lengths) across your timeline by simply copying the adjustment layers themselves.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Mike Manus

PostSat May 11, 2024 9:28 am

If you think about how Resolve is structured this makes sense.

Timeline scaling, edit sizing, dynamic sizing, input sizing, and stabilization all work together in synergy to not lose info early on in the order of operations. Then the clip goes into the color page, which has node sizing which is independent of the previously mentioned sizing operations and is limited to what the clip has become from the previous operations. Then at the end of the operations is output sizing/scaling. The output sizing and scaling work together, but not with node sizing or the set of first sizing operations. So it is limited to what it is fed from the timeline.

Now when you're using an adjustment clip, the point is that it operates on all clips below it, so those clips have to go through the color page to make sure they are composited correctly before the adjustment clip effects can touch it. Going through the color page is going to limit the resolution/cropping to what the timeline now is.

So I doubt this behavior can change anytime soon. It would require a big overhaul of how Resolve is internally structured. I don't have a good answer for how to fix it, maybe using Fusion might make it easier. I don't know how Fusion works into the whole system, I don't use it much.

If you do this in the future, you could pre-emptively set the timeline resolution to a larger resolution, enough to keep all the extra info on the sides. Then use output sizing/scaling to crop to your chosen resolution/ratio.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:55 pm

bryantocara wrote:you want to add a little motion, because technically, it's perceived as one clip by the viewer
A couple of approaches you might try are putting those video clips into a Compound, and adding DZ to that.

If the Compound gives you any issues, a Render in Place might be worth exploring.

Ultimately, you want not just the viewer to see those edits as a 'one clip', you want Resolve to see it that way we well. And AC's just don't do that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mike Manus

PostSat May 11, 2024 11:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
bryantocara wrote:you want to add a little motion, because technically, it's perceived as one clip by the viewer
A couple of approaches you might try are putting those video clips into a Compound, and adding DZ to that.

I don't think that would work, for the same reason I mentioned above. A compound clip can be multiple layers composited, which would have to go through the color page nodes. Even if its one clip, I'd think dissolves or smart cuts would force it to go into the color page stuff, before the dynamic zoom would be applied.

Steve Alexander

PostSun May 12, 2024 1:03 pm

Create a timeline with the resolution set to maximum working resolution such as 1920 x 1920 and resize mode set to crop and then modify the output resolution to your vertical such as 1024 x 1920 with resize mode set to crop. The timeline acts as your working resolution such that things like compound clips and nested timelines can exist outside the bounds of your output resolution. This will allow you to use dynamic zoom on your adjustment layer.

Add - What is most annoying about Resolve in this regard is that there is no way to see the extents of an image that lays outside the bounds of the output 'window'. There is a long standing request to have a shaded view of the source clip extents outside the current timeline output window (same applies to the source viewer which is also limited to the output window extents).

What I do to get around this is to temporarily set output resolution to match timeline resolution and use the vertical overlay to see the extents of the vertical window and then when I've moved things around I then switch my output resolution to vertical.
Last edited by Steve Alexander on Sun May 12, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Jim Simon

PostSun May 12, 2024 1:11 pm

Mike Manus wrote:I don't think that would work
It's worth a try, though. Simple enough to Undo if things go weird. Or a Duplicate timeline can be created for testing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 13, 2024 1:18 am

Yeah, I think the Order of Node Operations makes this clear: making a Dynamic Zoom directly on the clip itself happens before the Adjustment Layer. An Adjustment Layer happens at the very end of the signal chain, so in that respect it's very destructive.

I know that former Premiere users are very used to the idea of an Adjustment Layer, but to me, making changes in an Adjustment Layer is kind of a "last resort" thing that I wouldn't use except in dire circumstances. I think there are better ways to accomplish the same thing.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve