ProRes encoding and Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ola Haldor Voll

ProRes encoding and Resolve

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

Like many of you, I'm upset with the way Apple handles the pro market these days.
In an early open beta of Resolve 8.1 or 8.2 for Windows, it was possible to do ProRes encoding.

I wonder if it's coming back in Resolve 9
Resolve and ProRes encoding a couple of things keeping me from going to Windows. I don't like Windows in general, but if that's what it takes to still be in the game in regards of more power and better performance, I'll go there.

All productions I work on is rendered as ProRes, so I'm really dependent on it.
Is there any hope for this to happen?

Pat Horridge

Re: ProRes encoding and Resolve

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 pm

I agree. Luckily Apples closed approach to things has limited the acceptance of their developments and the damage doen to the post industry by FCPX hasn't been as bad as it could ahve been.

ProRes is still a popular choice and the limitation on PC systems needs to be removed to prevent issues in post.
Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, ACI, ACSR,
VET Production Editing Digital Media Blu-ray DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Aaron Hucker

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:36 pm

I too am very interested to hear if this will return. I currently work in FCP and PRO RES, however, the cost of a high end grading system on a mac is astronomical compared to PC.

I also wonder if there is going to be a way to round trip from FCP (mac) to reslove on a PC and back via XML ?

This would be a dream come true for me.

Regardless, a response in either direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

David Torcivia

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 am

There is a free workaround to encode prores on Windows using ffmpeg and the command prompt. When delivering prores from Resolve 8 to clients, I'll run out my uncomp Quicktime, convert to DNxHD 175 10 then convert to Prores (ffmpeg doesn't always get along well with high bitrate Quicktimes).

To do this, just navigate in your command prompt to the folder containing ffmpeg (latest builds:http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/), then entire the following command:

ffmpeg -i /path/to/file.mov -vcodec prores -profile NUMBER -an /path/to/output.mov

where NUMBER is:
0: ProRes (Proxy)
1: ProRes (LT)
2: ProRes (Normal)
3: ProRes (HQ)

Ola Haldor Voll

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Hmm.. And how's the speed? Not too happy about that vs. render directly to ProRes. I'll keep working on the Mac for now.

Aaron Hucker

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I'd rather not have to re-encode for several reasons, but thank you for the suggestion.

To be honest, because of my workflow and current operation, I'm going to stick with prores, even if it means I cannot have a realtime playback system on a Mac. As long as I can encode directly to ProRes, I'm happy.

Just want to know if its ever coming back to a PC before I make my switch from Color to Resolve.

I don't have realtime playback in Color currently, and thats never stopped me from getting great looking grades, so I'm sure I can manage the same in resolve.

David Torcivia

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 pm

The speed on my system is faster than realtime, though you do have the generation loss. I haven't tried all the uncompressed formats in yet, so there likely is a lossless in option.

Dylan Reeve

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 pm

ProRes is Apple's format and they can, unfortunately, limit it in pretty much whatever ways they want. My understanding is they've been quite obstructive of developers introducing ProRes to Windows. While a few have done it I'm lead to believe they've had to pay very significant licensing fees to do so.

Aaron Hucker

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah,
Im only hopeful because it was in one of the previous Beta's

Dylan Reeve

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 9:43 am

Aaron Hucker wrote:Yeah,
Im only hopeful because it was in one of the previous Beta's

I presume then that Blackmagic have the code to do it, but either don't want to pay Apple's licensing for it, or Apple simply won't allow it.

Pat Horridge

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:28 pm

It would be no surprise to learn that Apple are deliberatley blocking PC usage of ProRes (or pricing it to be prohibitive). They aren't interested in collaberation just selling hardware and that doesn't make for a good provider to the broadcast market.
It's good to see a shift towards Avids DNX codec with more cameras and kit now offering DNxHD as well as Prores as recording options. Avid are smart to allow their codec to be PC and Mac and available free to download.
If ProRes had been more open it could have had a much tighter grip on the post work market.
So I guess it's a possitive thing Apple are limiting proRes if it helps limit it's usefulness..
Pat Horridge

Tony Hernandez

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi
There is a new tool in Windows for encode transcode videos from several formats to most popular film and broadcast codecs including apple prores, is called CINEC basically a software for encoding ProRes in windows
Download from cinemartin website

http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/

bhook

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 1:56 pm

What does CINEC cost? I always get a bit suspicious when an app isn't up front with the purchase. That link only affords a download of the demo. :?

Tony Hernandez

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi mhood,
I don't know if it will be free or will cost some, i think may be like resolve, but i dont know.
Have you test it ?

bhook

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 12:44 am

No Tony, it's brand new to me but it does look like a solution to outputting ProRes on Windows.

Pat Horridge

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Tony Hernandez wrote:Hi
There is a new tool in Windows for encode transcode videos from several formats to most popular film and broadcast codecs including apple prores, is called CINEC basically a software for encoding ProRes in windows
Download from cinemartin website

http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/

No contact info on the website. Nothing there at all really except this demo.
I'd don't think I'll be installing it till I know more of who's supplying it...
Pat Horridge

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm

It's most likely ffmpeg or ffmbc+ custom made GUI. Very unstable.
You can do the same+ way more with ffmbc+ eg. smartffmpeg GUI for free :)

newwikstromkaren

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 am

You may also refer to this video tutorial on how to encode ProRes on Windows at

This gudie helps to convert various videos to Apple ProRes format especially convert video to ProRes 4444 like convert MXF to ProRes 4444, convert H.264 to ProRes 4444, AVCHD to ProRes 4444, AVI to ProRes 4444, MP4 to ProRes 4444, MOV to ProRes 4444 or convert to ProRes 4444 from other video including MKV, YouTube, FLV, WMV, MOD, WTV, RMVB, WebM, ASF, SWF, 3GP, and etc.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am

Rule is simple- Apple will give you license only when your product runs on WIN Server.
Not sure how epxensive and problematic it's, but as long as you don't meet this requirement you can forget about licensing ProRes officially from Apple.
Way around- use code from ffmpeg, just don't call your encoder ProRes to avoid legal issues. Code inside ProRes has no patented technologies (just another DCT based codec), which Apple owns, so nothing stops you to write your own encoder- Apple owns only trademark "ProRes".

ffmpeg encoder is better than Apple ones and on high-end machine 4-5x faster than real time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve