DNG playback on laptop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Schmeer

DNG playback on laptop

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Davinci Resolve runs very sluggishly on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro (to an unusable extent), so that's not an option, but I was wondering if there is any way at all to preview DNG shots, considering the camera itself seems to handle playback totally fine? It doesn't have to be great quality, I just need a way to preview the takes before editing in Lightroom.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Margus Voll

Re: DNG playback on laptop

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm

BM media express maybe ?

I'm not sure if it works with dng but it would be reasonable solution maybe ?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Hearnia

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 pm

How much RAM do you have?

You could try doing a RAM preview in after effects. Adjust the res lower and lower until it plays smoothly.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Margus Voll wrote:BM media express maybe ?

I'm not sure if it works with dng but it would be reasonable solution maybe ?

Nope, I've tried that.. it doesn't seem to support DNG files. BMD should really have a playback solution :roll:

Hearnia wrote:How much RAM do you have?

You could try doing a RAM preview in after effects. Adjust the res lower and lower until it plays smoothly.

8GB RAM, is that enough for a RAM preview in AE?
www.christianschmeer.com

Margus Voll

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm

They have and it is called Resolve and it is free with your camera.

Question is if you have machine that can run it.

But i see your point having low rez option just to playback.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

dustylense

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 6:20 pm

the camera plays back the files just fine. hook it up to an sdi monitor and preview away.

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Margus Voll wrote:They have and it is called Resolve and it is free with your camera.

Question is if you have machine that can run it.

But i see your point having low rez option just to playback.

dustylense wrote:the camera plays back the files just fine. hook it up to an sdi monitor and preview away.

As I said, Resolve doesn't run well enough on my MacBook Pro, so that's not an option. I don't have an SDI monitor, so that's not an option either. Also, the camera doesn't tell me the file names when previewing on-screen.

I don't get how the camera can handle direct playback and a laptop can't? Surely the laptop is much more powerful... BMD needs to give the option of playing back low-res previews in Davinci Resolve. Why advertise that the product can run on a MacBook Pro if it's not really usable?
www.christianschmeer.com

Hearnia

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I would try to upgrade to 12 or 16 gigs of ram if you can. 8 should be enough for a RAM preview though yes. The preview stops when you run out of ram - so if you set it to half resolution you should be able to preview 20-30 seconds.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
I don't get how the camera can handle direct playback and a laptop can't? Surely the laptop is much more powerful... BMD needs to give the option of playing back low-res previews in Davinci Resolve. Why advertise that the product can run on a MacBook Pro if it's not really usable?

Resolve has exactly that build in, and it's called instant proxies (or so) - it's under the options menu.
It does low res preview (without rendering actually proxies).
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Lamberto Lamberti

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 am

Hi,
you may use Adobe SpeedGrade instead of DaVinci Resolve. Speedgrade provide a fluid .DNG playback on every machine (before and after grading). It can also make a DaVinci-like workflow with Adobe Premiere Pro. I Have a MackBook Pro early 2011 with 16gb and an Imac 2010. Bot machines work well.

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I have resorted to just exporting every single shot as a ProRes proxy to preview the footage. The "proxy on the fly" option doesn't seem to have any effect on playback speed in my case...

I have now checked what Mac Pro my university has in their colour grading suite. It's a 2010 Mac Pro with 8-core (2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core) Intel Xeon processors, 8GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU. Would this Mac Pro handle grading/playback better than my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with 2.3Ghz i7 Quad-Core processor, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB GPU?
www.christianschmeer.com

Albert N. Romero

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:I have now checked what Mac Pro my university has in their colour grading suite. It's a 2010 Mac Pro with 8-core (2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core) Intel Xeon processors, 8GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU. Would this Mac Pro handle grading/playback better than my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with 2.3Ghz i7 Quad-Core processor, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB GPU?

I have the same (well, not retina) with 16gb andgoes fluid. True that at this moment i dont have very long clips so maybe is easier for the mb.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 12:56 am

Albert N. Romero wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:I have now checked what Mac Pro my university has in their colour grading suite. It's a 2010 Mac Pro with 8-core (2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core) Intel Xeon processors, 8GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU. Would this Mac Pro handle grading/playback better than my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with 2.3Ghz i7 Quad-Core processor, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB GPU?

I have the same (well, not retina) with 16gb andgoes fluid. True that at this moment i dont have very long clips so maybe is easier for the mb.

You are saying you have a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and your RAW footage plays back in realtime in Resolve?!
www.christianschmeer.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve