Resolve/Decklink freezes after starting playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Reinis Traidas

Resolve/Decklink freezes after starting playback

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Hello, I recently bought Resolve 9.1 (Windows) along with a Decklink 4K Extreme card.

I've installed the card in my HP Z820, installed the latest Desktop Video software. As soon as I start Resolve and open a project, Resolve freezes as soon as I push play in any of the modes (conform or color or etc). It doesn't matter what media it is (RED, DSLR, etc) - it always freezes. It runs fine when I de-select "use Decklink for playback" in the preferences.

Is it a faulty card or is it a software problem? I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks!

Reinis Traidas

Re: Resolve/Decklink freezes after starting playback

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 11:59 am

I am still having issues with my Decklink 4K.

After re-installing Blackmagic Decktop Video I managed to see the card under playback preferences in Adobe Premiere CS6, but no playback. Premiere just freezes all playback (even in the main interface) as soon as I have selected Blackmagic Playback as a playback device.

In Resolve, the application hangs (freezes) when Decklink 4K is selected in the Video I/O preferences.

Please advise. Thanks!

Reinis Traidas

Re: Resolve/Decklink freezes after starting playback

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm writing this so that there is a record and that people experiencing similar trouble can find this thread.

After lots of changing around PCI slots and trying different GPU cards (we suspected conflicting drivers for Quadro and Decklink) we managed to finally get Decklink 4K Extreme to work after downgrading drivers (and with that - firmware) to 9.7.0. The latest 9.7.1 did not work at all in any configuration and kept crashing every app that tried to use the card.

The system I am using is:

Brand new HP Z820
Dual Xeon 3,10GHz
Quadro K5000
256GB SSD
Velociraptor HDDs
Windows 7 (Service Pack 1)

After successfully running Decklink 4K (playback worked fine in Video Express, Premiere) I brought the computer home and it suddenly wouldn't start. After an examination and test by HP engineers, the motherboard was suspected dead. They took the workstation in for replacing it. I don't know know much of this was due to Decklink (probably no connection at all) or how much Decklink not working was due to a weird motherboard, but still. Be careful.

Return to DaVinci Resolve