Change timeline playback speed?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tychoxi

Change timeline playback speed?

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi all, I've recently started using Resolve 15 and other than the annoyance of having to learn how to use an editor different from the ones I was used to, it's pretty good (and free!). Whenever I needed to learn something I found the answer with a little googling... until now!

PROBLEM: I know how to manipulate the speed of individual clips but is there a ways to change the playback speed for the main timeline? I want to synchronize video to an audio track and this seems to be the best way to hit all the beats. To temporarily play the whole almost-finished thing at half speed and pay attention to see whether the video edits are falling a little behind or after the intended beats.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank y'all!

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: Change timeline playback speed?

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Hello, Martin,
there is a setting in the Project Settings▸ Master▸ Timeline Format▸ Playback Frame rate. I believe that is what you are looking for.
If you want to playback at a half of speed only sometimes, you may hold K and L simultaneously to go forward or K and J to go backwards.

You can find the full DaVinci Resolve Reference Manual, including the chapters 3—System and User Preferences and 4—Project Settings, in the Help menu in Resolve application.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

tychoxi

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi, the K+L command is exactly what I wanted, thank you kindly!

JBosch

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 am

Does anyone know if a quick way to watch and listen to the timeline playing at double speed. In Premiere Pro, for each time you click play it will speed up the playback. This is really useful when you have to listen for cues in the timeline quickly. For example, for adding images or slides at key points in lectures. Having to listen at regular speed is very time consuming.

Thank you!

xunile

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 4:48 pm

JBosch wrote:Does anyone know if a quick way to watch and listen to the timeline playing at double speed. In Premiere Pro, for each time you click play it will speed up the playback. This is really useful when you have to listen for cues in the timeline quickly. For example, for adding images or slides at key points in lectures. Having to listen at regular speed is very time consuming.

Thank you!

Hit the L key twice.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

JBosch

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 pm

xunile wrote:
JBosch wrote:Does anyone know if a quick way to watch and listen to the timeline playing at double speed. In Premiere Pro, for each time you click play it will speed up the playback. This is really useful when you have to listen for cues in the timeline quickly. For example, for adding images or slides at key points in lectures. Having to listen at regular speed is very time consuming.

Thank you!

Hit the L key twice.

Thank you!

wwen101

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Awesome! But how do you slow it back down to normal speed after L key twice?

wd60xxx

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Press K to stop, then press L to play.

liquidvisual

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Is there a way to change the amount "L" multiplies the speed when clicked more than once?

For instance, is there a way to have the second click of "L" or "J" play at 1.5x instead of 2x speed?

It would be great for editing voice when 2x is just a bit fast for comprehension.

DBenz003

PostTue May 07, 2024 10:06 pm

Hi, I also wish to speed up timeline playback, x 1.5 and I also wish to slow down timeline playback x0.75 or x 0.5
J sends the cursor backwards, so J isnt slower than x1, its backwards.
and L is x2 then to slow it down via x1 to x.075 there is no way, or is there ?
K to stop then L is X1 thereafter until hit L again.

This is a little 'ancient'

I wish we had L x1,5 L again X 2.0 L again x 2.5 then J slows it down so J is 2 then J is x1.5 then J is X1 then J is x 0.5 then L is x1 then L is x1.5

in other words L faster J slower, with a playback number showing the X speed.

an entry box for the increments.

I am needing to play quicker to spot for fault lines, scrubbing misses them, and having to play at normal speed will take forever to sort out all my wonky recordings.

DBenz003

Return to DaVinci Resolve