Scroll text questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarcySB

Scroll text questions

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 10:39 pm

I just added my first scroll from Titles, and my question is can I change the size and font type (family, bold, etc.) on just part of it, or does it have to be on the whole thing? If it has to be all the text using the scroll Title, is there another way to do this?

For example:

Music Director:
Ann Koenig

Thanks,
Marcy

MarcySB

Re: Scroll text questions

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm

It has been more than 3 months since I posted this question. I'm still hoping to get an answer to it. Is there somewhere that explains scrolling and how to change it's attributes? I'd also like to slow it down a little if I can. Thanks.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 pm

If it's a normal Title, just select the parts you want to change and change them.

If it's a Text+ title, the process is unnecessarily complicated.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

xunile

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:55 pm

MarcySB wrote:I just added my first scroll from Titles, and my question is can I change the size and font type (family, bold, etc.) on just part of it, or does it have to be on the whole thing? If it has to be all the text using the scroll Title, is there another way to do this?

For example:

Music Director:
Ann Koenig

Thanks,
Marcy

Using the Scroll Title preset it isn't possible to change the color or font of part of the text. You can do this either with the Text or Text+ options but you have to create the scrolling effect yourself.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

rayrapphael

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:01 pm

dang thats junk. I hope they can add this feature to the next update. seems pretty basic, but who knows, could be complicated to add.

mastix

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm

Agree on that. I would love that the scroll text gets more refined.Ability to change specific color, fonts and size to parts and not the entire text. Being able to add logos etc inside the scrolling text without going into Fusion.
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

dave4443

PostSun Sep 04, 2022 6:06 pm

This would be great, going into fusion is unnecessarily complicated when working with text and a really long way to do things

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Sep 04, 2022 10:48 pm

Please take a look at my enhancement request for Scroll and see if it would meet your needs:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=164798
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

gparnell1969

PostTue May 09, 2023 3:54 pm

I came here with nearly the same question. I have the Studio version and it appears the default "Scroll" title is pretty much worthless. I really don't understand how anyone would be satisfied with such a simple "plop and play" effect. All text the same color, same size, same font. Even my Position controls are grayed out, so you're stuck with that as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Davinci Resolve now that I'm learning it, and I can create my own scrolling effect of course. My curiosity is why include that particular Title effect at all? Who is going to be satisfied with that? And I'm on Studio 18, so it's still in there haha.

I don't think it would be so difficult to at least allow different font SIZES, which is what I was wanting to do. Have a large font line (header) followed by blocks of smaller text to read. This is something I tend to do fairly often. Guess I'll have to do it manually, which is what video editors are supposed to do anyway lmao.

marcello,

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 7:03 pm

Same issue here. Guess we have to find alternatives

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 7:32 pm

There’s the Text+ control which gives one lots of flexibility but at a huge cost in complexity.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

PhilL2024

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pm

Just adding my voice to this as well. Having come from Vegas where having a scrolling credits with different text styles has been a thing forever, I've spent an hour or so trying to achieve this with Resolve, Googling brought me here.

I also have an option for NewBlue Titler Pro 7 and a button for 'Open Title Pro' but this locks Resolve up.

Romualdas Budriunas

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pm

One workaround to achieve rich text scrolling is to use "Text" title and add keyframe with negative Y value (depending on the amount of text) at the beginning and another keyframe with large positive Y value at the end. This way the text will move during playback of the text clip. The limits are +/- 4320 pixels; you may need to split the "Text" into multiple clips if there are too many lines of text and those maximum values would be insufficient.

Return to DaVinci Resolve