3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

shawkyns

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 am

I have one of these that I have just started using for Fusion360
on the mac at least, it has a driver which allows you to alter the device on a per program basis, one of the options being to send 2d mouse commands.

Doing this, in DR16, I am able to get it to zoom in and out of the timeline, zoom in and out of the viewer, and act like a 2d mouse using the 'jog' control to move the timeline back and forth.

It does not really work that well. the mouse is sending discrete point commands at x times per second depending how you set it up, and, something that came as a surprise to me, it is not an infinite scroll control. What i mean by that is that you can not rotate the knob 360.. it jogs one 'step' to the left or right. same with the other controls.

so in order to scroll say 15 frames to the left, you would have to rotate to the left 15 times. to zoom in, you would have to push in (or whatever other movement you set up) for each level of zoom.

There is an option in the driver to send those discrete commands, but so far, set to say 24per sec to correspond to frame rate in my project, it either under-scrolls or moves too fast, or even worse, locks the computer up sending so many that the computer freezes.

I am sure there is a way to tweak this,a nd I continue to play with it, but until BM start to support this in a 3d mouse config, I dont think it will be nearly as useful as something like a contour design shuttle.

BM has also, from what I have seen, been reluctant to offer support for anything but proprietary control surfaces. so I wouldnt hold your breath that this would come with built in support anytime soon, being that I am still waiting for them to support tangent elements natively....

Augusto Lombardi

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro

PostFri May 10, 2024 1:05 pm

i'd like to use the spacemouse in davinci as you suggest

hope that BM guys are considering this very cool controller to be better supported in davinci

is there any update on this topic?

Return to DaVinci Resolve