Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 3D Question

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jsghost777

Re: Fusion 3D Question

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:So this is very cool. I would love to use this and animate the actual map I'm using. So if there's water on the map, extrude it to a 3D map and animate it, as well as making the buildings/landmarks on the map extruded 3D images like you did with the first one and added smoke to make it look like a volcano. So that'll be my major goal for fusion while still learning and experimenting on the side.

Yes. But of course Fusion is not a 3D application or anything like that, it just has some tools to help compositors with some tasks, and not have to call 3D department for every little detail, and 3D simple geometric shapes are useful for projections and shadow catchers etc. when compositing. But despite that, for creative use, a lot can be done with the tools we have in Fusion, but we have to use them differntly than 3D application since they are limited, but on the other hand fusion has plethora of tools to boost what little options in 3D we have.

Don't forget to learn how to make shaders and projections, its really powerful combo. I've made another simple and short animation, using some of the concepts we talked about previously, but I think to avoid stretching small resolution image across the large sphere for background, probably I should have try to use projections. I'll try that next time.

Just Testing some Chrome like Shader and UFO Thingy In Blackmagic Fusion

Two images and fusion animation. One image for the sky dome (backdrop) and one image for creating metal shader for the whatever UFO thingy. Using a grayscale radial gradient and a displace 3D node, I turned stock cylinder shape into whatever that is. Anyway, adding the meal shader and animating it spinning and camera spinning around it at speed, and one spot light, I was able to get cool looking animation. Like some UFO flying trough space or something. Anyway, wonders of Fusion continue to inspire me to learn more.

sshot-3874for-web.jpg

There is a disparity in resolution between background image and UFO. I try to hide it by adding motion blur, but when the UFO is static, it can be seen. Working on trying to solve this by having a projector following the camera around so its a low res image but always where camera is. Maybe for the next time.

Projections are probably next ting to experiment with since it can solve the problem of resolution, when you have to work with low resolution images. And speeds up the performance of course.

Here is one cool example from the manual.

sshot-3833.jpg

sshot-3832.jpg

Cheers!

Very cool!

I'm currently working on something. Now, I didn't figure this out, I watched a tutorial, but I'm not getting what I want. So, after trying for a while and having no clue of how to go about it, I thought I'd get help here.

With and/or without the particle system, how do you create not only realistic rain, but the actual ground/surface spatter to go along with it? And then, how do you get that effect to work in video footage?

And how do you color the actual particles so they're not only translucent like rain/water, but also refract light in a realistic or acceptable way?

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:26 pm

jsghost777 wrote: I'm currently working on something. Now, I didn't figure this out, I watched a tutorial, but I'm not getting what I want. So, after trying for a while and having no clue of how to go about it, I thought I'd get help here.

With and/or without the particle system, how do you create not only realistic rain, but the actual ground/surface spatter to go along with it? And then, how do you get that effect to work in video footage?

And how do you color the actual particles so they're not only translucent like rain/water, but also refract light in a realistic or acceptable way?

Youre-asking-me-how-a-watch-works.-For-now-just-keep-an-eye-on-the-time-1765072029.jpg
Youre-asking-me-how-a-watch-works.-For-now-just-keep-an-eye-on-the-time-1765072029.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 321 times

Perhaps it would be best if you focused building a strong foundation of fundamentals before trying something that complex. But if you are are looking for some insight, here are some tutorials to get you started.

NAB 2010 - Rain In Your Eyes

Fusion Particles - Spark impacts / Spawning new points from particles

ADD EASY RAIN!!! Davinci Resolve 17 - FUSION!

Realistic Rain Drop Effect Tutorial and Template - 100% DaVinci Resolve

Making Cinematic Rain with VFX

DavinciResolve Fusion | E 14 - Create Raindrops using Normals

Blackmagic Fusion - LeBuck'sRing Ep.04 - Particle Rain (Advanced Particle Creation Tutorial)

Blackmagic Fusion - Rain Particles

Last edited by KrunoSmithy on Thu May 02, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsghost777

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote: I'm currently working on something. Now, I didn't figure this out, I watched a tutorial, but I'm not getting what I want. So, after trying for a while and having no clue of how to go about it, I thought I'd get help here.

Youre-asking-me-how-a-watch-works.-For-now-just-keep-an-eye-on-the-time-1765072029.jpg

Perhaps it would be best if you focused building a strong foundation of fundamentals before trying something that complex. But if you are are looking for some insight, here are some tutorials to get you started.

NAB 2010 - Rain In Your Eyes

Fusion Particles - Spark impacts / Spawning new points from particles

ADD EASY RAIN!!! Davinci Resolve 17 - FUSION!

Realistic Rain Drop Effect Tutorial and Template - 100% DaVinci Resolve

Making Cinematic Rain with VFX

The realistic rain was the tutorial I watched. They actually went a step further and released a second tutorial that was improved. Helped a ton! I also went a bit further with it and added a particle system so there's very, and I mean VERY, poorly created rain drops in the background. Adding it to my video actually made it look like it was raining, except when you really focus you can see the drops aren't real and not the right color, not to mention there's no ground/surface impact from the drops. So I've got a basic system in place, it's just a matter of perfecting it to be as realistic as possible.

I know my question is for advanced people but I'd like to attempt it for a project I'm working on - basically the video with actual rain had mediocre footage and the second video with the good footage has zero rain. And the rain is needed to create the right atmosphere. It's not a do or die, it's just more me wanting to add rain, but as you said, I'm currently focusing on easier things in order to better understand and use nodes before going that advanced.

On another note, I created my own logo and animation for it which I'm very proud of. Just sat and said "I'm going to try and do something in fusion without any help". Most of what I created were happy accidents, but I learned a lot which is the point of all of this - to learn and get better and then find ways to get even better. Then today, I created a second part to my logo. I did have to look up a few things, but 90% of it I did on my own. Very proud of it, despite it not being even close to what I had in mind.

WHICH brings me to this:

Title 1, 2, 3, and 5 in the video. Man, I want to know how to do them and whether it's possible in Fusion or is it too advanced and maybe 3D Software type designing?

jsghost777

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:56 pm

By the way, as you mentioned "learning a strong foundation of the fundamentals" - what would you say are the best ways to do this? How and where do I start and then what are the steps of progression you would recommend?

Also, thanks for the tutorials! I'm definitely watching and doing all of them.

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:24 pm

jsghost777 wrote:I know my question is for advanced people but I'd like to attempt it for a project I'm working on - basically the video with actual rain had mediocre footage and the second video with the good footage has zero rain. And the rain is needed to create the right atmosphere. It's not a do or die, it's just more me wanting to add rain, but as you said, I'm currently focusing on easier things in order to better understand and use nodes before going that advanced.

That would probably be the best approach. Yes. Because at some point its not just about step.by.step of what someone tutorial says, but using principles of something and being able to expand and adopt it to your own needs and taste, without being bogged down by fundamental ways the tool works. That is why I would suggest taking it a step at the time.

By the way. I added few more rain tutorials to the list of my original post about it. Its updated now, so you can see more different approaches. Some of it is more advance stuff, but that is why its good to start with fundamentals.

jsghost777 wrote: On another note, I created my own logo and animation for it which I'm very proud of. Just sat and said "I'm going to try and do something in fusion without any help".

Good attempt, good idea. Go for it.

jsghost777 wrote: WHICH brings me to this:

Title 1, 2, 3, and 5 in the video. Man, I want to know how to do them and whether it's possible in Fusion or is it too advanced and maybe 3D Software type designing?

Yes, all of them can be created in Fusion. And much more advance than that.

Title 1: Advanced Burn Effect - BMD Fusion - Tutorial

Title 2: Is mostly just animating a bullet hole that you can paint in something like Photoshop or Fusion if you like and animating it to appear by using a mask or keyframes. You can create smoke and sparks from gun shot holes with particles.

Title 3: Is logo particle dissolve type tutorials. Just search for those.

Particle Dissolve Text & Logo Animation in DaVinci Resolve - FREE Template and Fusion Tutorial

LOGO Animation - Turn your Logo into Particles - Davinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial

Create Text Particle Dissolve Blowing Away Effect Using Fusion Particle Tools in DaVinci Resolve 17

Particle Text | DaVinci Resolve 18 |

Create a Cool Logo Dissolve Effect in DaVinci Resolve | Step-by-Step Guide

Particle Dissolve Anything Without Limits - DaVinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial 2 | NEW Template

Fusion 17: Logo Particle dissolve

Title 4: is pretty easy to just use some footage of blood splatter and put it over the top of the logo or title.

Title 5: Dacey effect can be accomplished in many ways. Depend on what you want to do. If you want to go with a timeleapse style animation you can create title being warn down as a sequence and just play it as a slideshow. Which seems to be what they have done in the video. Or you can make it more procedural where you choose how it decays. Usually you would use fast noise or something to reveal normal title and one with texture that is all warn down. You can look into tutorials for fusion about fast noise title or logo reveal-

You can use this tutorial to create a texture that is all rusted down and destroyed

: Fusion 6 - 3D Texture Overview

And use this concept just with different fast noise pattern to reveal the damage over time.

Digital/Pixel Logo Reveal - Davinci Resolve Tutorial

Title 6: Is just glow effect. Not very good one.

Title 7: Is not that great in my view. Maybe some dripping stuff like this would be interesting.

Продвинутое текстурирование 2D титров в Davinci Resolve Fusion

Realistic Bleeding Effect in BMD Fusion

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:29 pm

jsghost777 wrote:By the way, as you mentioned "learning a strong foundation of the fundamentals" - what would you say are the best ways to do this? How and where do I start and then what are the steps of progression you would recommend?

Well, start with simple things. I found a lot of a good stuff in the Resolve/Fusion official reference manual where they explain all the nodes and tools and what they do.

https://elements.tv/blog/davinci-resolv ... l-is-here/

For me that was a good start , because you can actually start to understand why do these tools exist in the first place. And what their functions are. There is a very good set of tutorials from original eyeon people who built the Fusion.

I would start with those. They offer great explanation of fundamentals and creative ways to use it. But unlike many half backed tutorials online these are really solid. And very inspiring.

EyonFusion they have their official YouTube page with all the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@eyeonsoftware

jsghost777 wrote: Also, thanks for the tutorials! I'm definitely watching and doing all of them.

You are welcome.

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 7:29 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:By the way, as you mentioned "learning a strong foundation of the fundamentals" - what would you say are the best ways to do this? How and where do I start and then what are the steps of progression you would recommend?

Well, start with simple things. I found a lot of a good stuff in the Resolve/Fusion official reference manual where they explain all the nodes and tools and what they do.

https://elements.tv/blog/davinci-resolv ... l-is-here/

For me that was a good start , because you can actually start to understand why do these tools exist in the first place. And what their functions are. There is a very good set of tutorials from original eyeon people who built the Fusion.

I would start with those. They offer great explanation of fundamentals and creative ways to use it. But unlike many half backed tutorials online these are really solid. And very inspiring.

EyonFusion they have their official YouTube page with all the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@eyeonsoftware

jsghost777 wrote: Also, thanks for the tutorials! I'm definitely watching and doing all of them.

You are welcome.

Ah, I missed this reply. Great. I'll definitely check out the link. That is currently my main question: how do you know which nodes to use? So understanding them better and what their functions are is what I need most right now.

Thanks!
Previous

Return to Fusion