Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to Get Rid of Blurry Edges // Anti-Aliasing in Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

grzgrz

How to Get Rid of Blurry Edges // Anti-Aliasing in Fusion?

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:11 pm

How does one get rid of the Blurry Edges // Anti-Aliasing in DVCR Fusion?

In After Effects, the dots created by the ellipse tool have this type of edge.
ae dots.png
ae dots.png (17.7 KiB) Viewed 313 times

What's important, is that when you look at it at full scale, it looks actually quite nice.

But in DaVinci Resolve Fusion, the edges of sEllipse -> sRender are blurred (and so are from every single picture I've tried).
dvcr dots.png
dvcr dots.png (78.53 KiB) Viewed 313 times

And on a rendered mp4, it just looks blurry, like I'm not wearing glasses with -0.8D myopia.

Here's a side by side comparison of AE to DVCR:
ae to dvcr comparison.png
ae to dvcr comparison.png (326.28 KiB) Viewed 313 times

It's a random png of an apple, exact same file, exported to both an AE comp and a Fusion composition.

Why is that happening, why does DaVinci Resolve do that and how can I remedy it, for DVCR not blur it in the first place?

I know it might just be a single option somewhere, that I'm missing, but I've looked and haven't found it. (the "high quality" in fusion is checked and as mentioned, the rendered mp4 is blurry)

I'm not a "pro" pro, but I'm not a beginner, so I don't know if I'm missing something or it's just supposed to be like this.

Bryan Ray

Re: How to Get Rid of Blurry Edges // Anti-Aliasing in Fusio

PostFri May 03, 2024 6:26 pm

There's an option in the viewer display options (the ... menu in the upper-right corner of the viewport) to turn off "Smart Resize." The viewport's default is to apply a linear filter when viewing at anything other than 100%. It's really obnoxious and one of the first things I fix in a new Fusion install.

edit: If the render is also blurry, that's another issue. If you've transformed the image, you may need to change the filter in the Transform node. I think the default is Linear, which softens things too much usually. I like Catmull-Rom for its slight sharpening, but watch out for ringing in high-contrast areas.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

KrunoSmithy

Re: How to Get Rid of Blurry Edges // Anti-Aliasing in Fusio

PostSat May 04, 2024 11:46 am

Other than smart resize option which only affects the preview, the only thing that comes to mind if its in the render is that there is a mismatch between final output resolution and sRender you mentioned. Without further information its hard to say what else could it be.

sshot-3965.jpg
sshot-3965.jpg (131.04 KiB) Viewed 234 times

sshot-3963.jpg
sshot-3963.jpg (131.49 KiB) Viewed 234 times

sshot-3964.jpg
sshot-3964.jpg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 234 times

Return to Fusion