Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

VectorWarp speed up.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

birdseye

VectorWarp speed up.

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:00 am

I finally checked out Millolab'S brilliant VectorWarp this morning using the clip with the girl in the tea-shirt. Unfortunately 4096 x 2160 50fps video and this computer is as slow as Hector.So i decided to crop things down to just the area I needed and then uncrop. It speeds the whole process up more than I had the patience to discover (it was going to take hours at full size and the STMap file sizes were about 5-6 times larger). The spec of this computer won't run optical flow in 'Advanced' mode so it's classic all the way. I also found the the STMapper doesn't work (that could be pilot error, it my first encounter of this node) but the Texture node does appear to do the job. One problem is tripping me up and it's either a rookie error or a fatal flaw in a cunning plan. I don't think the crop uncrop process is the cause, as the problem occurs at the Texture node. I can't get rid of the black background. Would this problem occur if the STMapper could be used? Does anyone have a solution?
Here is the comp I haven't included the ST maps as there was about 2.5 GB of files but the crop comp produces the ST maps relatively quickly even of this slow machine. Here is a link to the comps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iwpEWi ... sp=sharing

Jacob Danell

Re: VectorWarp speed up.

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:59 am

Are you sure you're running the latest STmapper version (1.2)?
You could also try to Smart Vectors fuse: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... ors#p46767
It's currently in Beta but I might soon push it to Reactor

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

birdseye

PostWed May 08, 2024 11:02 am

Using Millolab's ml_stMap node instead of STMapper or Texture fixed the problem, whatever it was/is. Cropping makes one hell of a difference on slower hardware, 5, 10, 15 times quicker depending of how much cropping you can do, if you pardon the expression.
Last edited by birdseye on Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdseye

PostWed May 08, 2024 11:06 am

Are you sure you're running the latest STmapper version (1.2)?
You could also try to Smart Vectors fuse: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... ors#p46767
It's currently in Beta but I might soon push it to Reactor

I have just played around with the VectorWarp for the first time this morning, so you are probably right. I will check out your suggestions.

birdseye

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:27 am

I had another go with the STMapper with some changed project settings just in case they were causing a problem.
I didn't have the project pref set to the 50 frame rate or 32bit float so I tried that just in case STMapper is frame rate sensitive or something weird like that.
Regarding details I'm not sure about, just in case it was causing the problem with the STMapper, I set the project bit rate to 32 bit and the Loader to 32 bit, is it necessary to do that?
One trait I have noticed is that if you don't have the VectorWarp loaded in the viewer and the ST maps are already present in the folder, if Generate CleanPass is activated Fusion will crash. No crash occured in any other scenario..
Unfortuately I got the same results, the ml_stMap worked perfectly, the Texture node warped correctly but with a solid black background (I assume that is why the ST mappers were created) and the STMapper didn't work. By the way is there an explanation of what all those extra setting are used for in the STMapper? I'll try out the Smart Vectors fuse next, maybe in a deathmatch with the VectorWarp and GridWarp plus trackers.
Here is a link to the latest effort, maybe someone can spot what is causing the problem with the STMapper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dgBWmT ... sp=sharing

Return to Fusion