Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Which Nodes Do This?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jsghost777

Which Nodes Do This?

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:43 pm

I'm trying to create a glass effect. Specifically, turning text into glass. The node setup I used was from a previous tutorial which was about creating water/rain. It's not working for me in this instance. So I was wondering which nodes are the best to use to create this effect and if possible, why?

For example, in the node setup from the tutorial, they used a createbumpmap node, displace node, brightness/contrast nodes and a blur node to create the translucent effect. I don't understand why those nodes give that effect and therefore I'm unable to figure out how to adapt it to what I want.

So if I can just understand which nodes to use and why (what settings causes the translucence) I'll be able to continue on my own.

KrunoSmithy

Re: Which Nodes Do This?

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:37 pm

jsghost777 wrote:I'm trying to create a glass effect. Specifically, turning text into glass. The node setup I used was from a previous tutorial which was about creating water/rain. It's not working for me in this instance. So I was wondering which nodes are the best to use to create this effect and if possible, why?

For example, in the node setup from the tutorial, they used a createbumpmap node, displace node, brightness/contrast nodes and a blur node to create the translucent effect. I don't understand why those nodes give that effect and therefore I'm unable to figure out how to adapt it to what I want.

So if I can just understand which nodes to use and why (what settings causes the translucence) I'll be able to continue on my own.

Have you tried this: Glass Effect Template for DaVinci Resolve - FREE Download!

There is also a tool made for glass text effect by Stefan Ringelschwandtner.

https://mononodes.com/pure-glass-effect/

jsghost777

PostThu May 09, 2024 5:51 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:I'm trying to create a glass effect. Specifically, turning text into glass. The node setup I used was from a previous tutorial which was about creating water/rain. It's not working for me in this instance. So I was wondering which nodes are the best to use to create this effect and if possible, why?

Have you tried this: Glass Effect Template for DaVinci Resolve - FREE Download!

There is also a tool made for glass text effect by Stefan Ringelschwandtner.

https://mononodes.com/pure-glass-effect/

Yes, I've seen those, but I want to know how to make it myself using nodes because I want to understand what nodes and what settings causes the translucence.

For example, in Blender, you'd go to shading, use a glass or glossy shader node or play with index of refraction on another node or a combination in order to get a glass effect. So, like I understand how to do that in the 3D software, I want to understand which nodes to use and which settings in Fusion.

As for the first tutorial you linked, they actually derived their effect from their previous "realistic rain" tutorial. I tried doing the same but had zero luck :lol:

I think I should redo the rain tutorial but specifically focus on what makes the water translucent. I tried going through the node tree by myself but couldn't really determine what exactly causes the effect.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu May 09, 2024 6:03 am

Half of the battle is describing to yourself what specifically makes it look as if it is glass, visually. Put the effect into writing, this usually helps in determining what needs to be done to create it too. Initially it can be hard, partially due to lack of vocabulary to express the ”symptoms”, but give it a try.
I do stuff

jsghost777

PostThu May 09, 2024 9:36 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Half of the battle is describing to yourself what specifically makes it look as if it is glass, visually. Put the effect into writing, this usually helps in determining what needs to be done to create it too. Initially it can be hard, partially due to lack of vocabulary to express the ”symptoms”, but give it a try.

That is what I do when trying to learn fusion. I say this is what I want, and then I go about trying to create it. It does help. In fact, I think I've figured out what gets the translucent effect. I was missing small settings in the different nodes I mentioned in the post. Now I'm about to test it with text, and also have to figure out the correct settings to make it look like glass.

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:16 am

[quote="jsghost777"]Yes, I've seen those, but I want to know how to make it myself using nodes because I want to understand what nodes and what settings causes the translucence. quote]

No, you haven't seen those. Actually, I don't think you put any effort into it at all. The guy in the video not only gives you free tool that does it, but also explains it step.by.step how to do it. With nodes. It can't be more straightforward and easier even if it tried.

Every time you ask for help. I give you a tutorial or explanation. You say you tried, but didn't work, usually no detailed reason why, just generic it didn't work. And than go onto some other project you don't know how to do, and come ask for help. Maybe you really should stick with basics and actually finish the ones you started before you begin a new one. I'm always willing to help, but not when person is not interested in learning. Where is the text with bullet holes or whatever you were doing few days ago? You have to finish things, that is how you learn. If you don't finish things, you learn how not to finish things. And than it becomes a habit. Pretty soon you are expert at not finishing things.

jsghost777

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:11 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:Yes, I've seen those, but I want to know how to make it myself using nodes because I want to understand what nodes and what settings causes the translucence. quote]

No, you haven't seen those. Actually, I don't think you put any effort into it at all. The guy in the video not only gives you free tool that does it, but also explains it step.by.step how to do it. With nodes. It can't be more straightforward and easier even if it tried.

Every time you ask for help. I give you a tutorial or explanation. You say you tried, but didn't work, usually no detailed reason why, just generic it didn't work. And than go onto some other project you don't know how to do, and come ask for help. Maybe you really should stick with basics and actually finish the ones you started before you begin a new one. I'm always willing to help, but not when person is not interested in learning. Where is the text with bullet holes or whatever you were doing few days ago? You have to finish things, that is how you learn. If you don't finish things, you learn how not to finish things. And than it becomes a habit. Pretty soon you are expert at not finishing things.

Yes, he gives nodes but you have to download his essential glass template (the free tool) in order to do the tutorial. So, downloading the essential glass template then following the tutorial is fine, but it's not what I want. I want to learn to make the template by myself. Now they made the template from their previous "realistic rain" tutorial as they mention in this tutorial, which is what I was using to try and make the glass effect by myself but couldn't get right. I didn't understand which parameters caused the translucence. So today I sat with text, createbumpmap, and displace, and I managed to figure out the settings that cause translucence - I made the text translucent as well as created a different node tree with an ellipse mask that created like a wave effect. I just don't want to use his tool because I want to create the tool by myself, which I'm sort of starting to get right though it doesn't look very good yet.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 16.06.03.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 16.06.03.png (719.74 KiB) Viewed 370 times

jsghost777

PostThu May 09, 2024 4:10 pm

KrunoSmithy:

As for the particle dissolve - here's the first one I made, which wasn't any good but it at least taught me how to connect things and how to get the effects to work with each other to some extent

My next attempt was the one I asked you about where my fire glitched (
)

That file completely stopped working. I wanted to post the nodes, but the moment I open it, the renderer node starts to render which then causes Davinci to crash. So I discarded that file completely.

I did manage to get one render before it stopped working (though it wouldn't finish rendering, stopped at 92%). This is what I then ended up with:

For me, it's much better, but it still has a VERY, very long way to go before being anything usable. I then started with the glass effect because it's something I want to combine with the fire effect. And all of this is still for the very same project I started with - the map folding.

Aside from that, I created two logos, and one of them I'm pretty happy with. It was also with particle dissolve and I used the tutorials you posted only when I got stuck and didn't know how to connect the nodes and so forth, but I mostly tried doing everything on my own.

Return to Fusion