Apple iPad Pro 2024 M4 OLED XDR as a reference monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rick.lang

Apple iPad Pro 2024 M4 OLED XDR as a reference monitor

PostTue May 07, 2024 6:40 pm

The new iPad Pro 2024 OLED 11” and 13”models look like they could be useful as an HDR reference monitor with sustained 1000 nits and peak 1600 nits capability in a first for Apple using a tandem OLED display. Available March 15, 2024. A better monitor than the existing standalone XDR monitors from Apple if you can live with the iPad Pro’s smaller resolution than a true 4K (or 6K) display. As a 2K monitor, it’s fine pixel-to-pixel.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

Re: Apple iPad Pro 2024 M4 OLED XDR as a reference monitor

PostTue May 07, 2024 10:53 pm

I think if you’re just thinking of using it as a reference monitor, it’s too much money for a itty bitty screen. I own an IPad for the sole purpose of browsing the internet and email. Other than that, I just never liked small devices. Again, my opinion. Others find it useful.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostTue May 07, 2024 11:27 pm

I see it as more than a monitor if you add at least a TB SSD, but when you compare the price for a real reference OLED 1000 nits P3 monitor, albeit offering 4K or UHD, the iPad can be an effective budget grading monitor.
Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:23 am

They look great, and the basic 13" unit is $1299, BUT: If you want the cool glass surface, that requires 1TB of RAM, so with the RAM and the new glass, it turns into a $1999 iPad. And at that point, you have to think, "man, that's about as much as a laptop!" So where does an iPad end and a MacBook Laptop begin?

I also have a problem with the lack of calibration options for iPads in general. True, you can set it to the internal "reference" Rec709/gamma 2.4 settings, but even then, you're at the mercy of whatever source is feeding the iPad. Having said that, it's not a terrible "real world" display to show clients an example of what their project may look like on the net.

We have literally held our iPad Pro up next to our calibrated control room monitor, and the client has said, "hmmmph. You know, it's actually not that far off." So it can translate to a point. But a reference? No.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

mickspixels

PostWed May 08, 2024 7:16 am

I'm interested but more as a very portable device with HDR editing capability than as a reference monitor in itself. I've been waiting for Apple to release an iPad with XDR screen in the smaller screen size which this new one has. From what I can see, the 11" weighs in at 444g which could be very useful when travelling instead of my 14" MacBook Pro (not that heavy in itself but about 1kg heavier and much bulkier than the iPad).

With a USB-C connector, download the contents of my camera and copy to an SSD. Add Resolve and FCP for iPad plus Lightroom Mobile and I might be travelling a bit lighter.

rick.lang

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:03 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:… I also have a problem with the lack of calibration options for iPads in general...

Yes, that has been a concern. We need to see if Apple has improvement the management of the reference settings

We have literally held our iPad Pro up next to our calibrated control room monitor, and the client has said, "hmmmph. You know, it's actually not that far off." So it can translate to a point. But a reference? No.

Thanks for your balanced assessment as always.

I wonder how the new tandem OLED screen will compare to other professional OLED reference screens. I wonder if any colourist will be making that comparison in the next few weeks?

I’d like to purchase the 1 TB model, but I’m in no rush (in part due to the cost, it’s not a good time for my pocketbook). I’m happy to see the 11” model is not crippled in some way but shares the same quality as the 13” model.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:09 pm

mickspixels wrote:I'm interested but more as a very portable device with HDR editing capability than as a reference monitor in itself. I've been waiting for Apple to release an iPad with XDR screen in the smaller screen size...

Yes, I agree, it would be more useful than just a monitor. Do you think you’ll purchase one in the near future? I’d be interested in hearing the findings from a real world user as I’m always sceptical of professional influencers on YouTube.
Rick Lang

Return to Post Production