Use of one timeline within another

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sebadee

Use of one timeline within another

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:52 am

When I cut a timeline into another timeline; certain attributes change. The titles do not display correctly and the audio pans some tracks to the left. If I "Decompose in place/Using only clips" the problems disappear. How do I get a timeline to behave the same way when in another TL as when it's not?

Reynaud Venter

Re: Use of one timeline within another

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:17 am

Assuming this is Resolve related?

What is the source Timeline and destination Track configuration?

Nested Timelines define the first Buss as the output of the Timeline and the target Track format in the destination Timeline should match the Buss configuration of the source Timeline.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Steve Fishwick

PostThu May 09, 2024 11:13 am

If you want to edit a timeline into another, then I would set Edit>Decompose Compound Clips On Edit, to checked. Because also I am mainly an Avid Media Composer editor, where I am used to being able to swap between the source and current timelines, I have also mapped 'Swap Timeline and Source Viewer' to F1 (PC) so I can see what I am marking in and out on for a timeline loaded in the Source monitor, by temporarily moving it to Record. In this way if you don't patch tracks differently especially to odd tracks (as I think Reynaud is saying is the cause for your unexpected audio pans), everything should follow into your edit as from the source timeline.

Sebadee

PostTue May 14, 2024 8:35 am

Thank you for your replies. Thanks for the Edit/Decompose Compound Clips On Edit function. But what if I want to compose a timeline made up with several other timelines and would like to leave them as such. The process is NOT transparent. Graphics from the original are transformed by the embedding process...

Original
[img]/Users/sebdewsbery/Desktop/Screenshot%202024-05-10%20at%2010.42.11.jpg[/img]

Embedded
[img]/Users/sebdewsbery/Desktop/Screenshot%202024-05-10%20at%2010.41.52.jpg[/img]

What must I change in order that the embedded TL behaves like the original?

Steve Fishwick

PostWed May 15, 2024 5:31 pm

Sebadee wrote:But what if I want to compose a timeline made up with several other timelines and would like to leave them as such. The process is NOT transparent. Graphics from the original are transformed by the embedding process...

I'm afraid I don't follow, but that may be my own unfamiliarity with Resolve editing. As far as I can see, with my own editing, any number of infinite edits from one time line to another, will follow as I have outlined, with those settings. If you set to decompose there is no compound embedding; as far as I have experienced; though as I say I am an Avid editor and no expert editing in Resolve.

I am sorry, I cannot see your images.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 17, 2024 12:51 am

Sebadee wrote:How do I get a timeline to behave the same way when in another TL
There have been problems with this for a while now.

I recommend you skip this approach and do everything in one timeline. (You can Copy/Paste clips into the Master from working timelines.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sebadee

PostFri May 17, 2024 8:00 am

Thanks, Jim. That is what I am trying to establish. Is this a bug or have I misunderstood how to set up my timeline? It seems to me that it would be useful if the process were transparent.

My title sequence with titles and an adjustment layer gobbles up 4 video tracks. My edit requires only two. I would like to be able to reduce the number of tracks to that required by my edit.

Here is a screengrab from my title sequence
Screengrab Original TL.jpg
Original
Screengrab Original TL.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 161 times

Here is what it looks like when incorporated in another TL
Screengrab embedded TL.jpg
Screengrab embedded TL.jpg (174.69 KiB) Viewed 161 times

The same thing happens IF I make it a Compound clip. Basically, the solution is to decompose to maintain the desired behaviour.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 17, 2024 2:28 pm

Sebadee wrote:Is this a bug
I believe your issue might be.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve