Database Home Network Workflow

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Editing37

Database Home Network Workflow

PostThu May 02, 2024 12:45 am

Hi everyone, my name is Mauro, this is my first post here.
I have a question, here is my situation:
I bought a Cloud Pod to store media and to store my Davinci Databases.
I want to access and edit from those SSD disks connected to the Cloud Pod.
I know that my situation is not the best, because I have 1gb connection available, but because my main reason is to centralize databases / project files from my 3 computers I think the bandwith can handle that specific need (it's slow to open the project but once opened it's ok).

My question is that if it's safe or not to do that, because I recently noticed that the Cloud Pod can't be used like server.
Also some advice on how configure that to prevent future problems (I don't know, maybe I can set an automatic backup daily, so if I have a problem in the middle of the work I can restore that backup, things like that)
I have 1 database per client and my wife and I will edit simultaniously in different databases but stored in the Cloud Pod's drives.

Thanks in advance for the response !

Mauro

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Database Home Network Workflow

PostFri May 03, 2024 8:27 am

I highly recommend not putting the project library on the external storage.

Either use a standalone DaVinci Resolve Project server, details in the manual, or use Blackmagic Cloud, or put a DaVinci Resolve Project server on one machines internal drive and provide access to that server from the other machine.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Editing37

PostFri May 03, 2024 1:39 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for the answer.
You gave me 3 solutions, but I can't get the difference between the first and the third one.
Can you give me an example to understand it better?
My goal is just to share a database locally with my wifi connection at home between my computers, (there's no single one computer turn on all the time).
I read the manual and it did not mention a problem with storing databases out of the computer (but it specifies that project libraries are for local storage).
Can you give me an example of why you say it's highgly recommended?

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I highly recommend not putting the project library on the external storage.

Either use a standalone DaVinci Resolve Project server, details in the manual, or use Blackmagic Cloud, or put a DaVinci Resolve Project server on one machines internal drive and provide access to that server from the other machine.

Username

PostFri May 03, 2024 9:37 pm

Editing37 wrote:Hi Peter, thanks for the answer.
You gave me 3 solutions, but I can't get the difference between the first and the third one.
Can you give me an example to understand it better?

The three options proposed as I understand it:

1. Install Project Server on your own workstation.
2. Use the Black Magic Cloud.
3. Install Project Server one of the other two computers so that you can connect to that servers project library.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat May 04, 2024 3:29 pm

The difference being option 3 is using a computer that you don't run resolve on. It is simply used as a database server for everyone else.

Option 1, which is what i use, has resolve and the server on my main computer, and 3 other computers can access it if need be, which for me may be dailies only, media collect, or particular outputs of work done on the main box.

Editing37

PostTue May 07, 2024 2:36 am

Thanks Everyone !

stuboybrown

PostThu May 09, 2024 7:11 pm

So this is something that has been bugging me

Ive been using one drive to store my files - they keep getting unconnected to the project.

really annoying (another note is this just me???)

is this built into onedrive as a fault!

my son has a massive drive on his PC - could we use project server on here - and let my mac connect in to amend update our shared projects??

I could connect in from many of the locations I go to - to share update and maned at our clients??

Username

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:11 pm

Hi.
Do you mean Microsoft’s OneDrive cloud service or a generic one single drive?
Placing a database on a cloud sync service which locks the db file when syncing is definitely a risky way and should not be used.
BMs cloud service is perfect for this.

A hosted project server with VPN access into from the internet would be possible as well but far more complicated.

stuboybrown wrote:So this is something that has been bugging me

Ive been using one drive to store my files - they keep getting unconnected to the project.

really annoying (another note is this just me???)

is this built into onedrive as a fault!

my son has a massive drive on his PC - could we use project server on here - and let my mac connect in to amend update our shared projects??

I could connect in from many of the locations I go to - to share update and maned at our clients??
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

stuboybrown

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:11 pm

Yes ms one drive.

What's the cost for this, I'm only small and file Suzette is under 500gb , each live project probably 10gb max

Return to Post Production