More Dailies Features

• Author

Marc Wielage

More Dailies Features

PostThu May 02, 2024 12:22 am

I was talking to an associate of mine at another facility last week, and he lamented that he hated using Colorfront On-Set Dailies -- a $10,000 piece of software -- because he much prefers the features, layout, and controls of Resolve.

The idea would be for Resolve to add more Dailies features, basically as an extension of the Deliver page. If you've ever had to deliver multiple versions of selects or complete dailies shoots, you'd understand the need for this. Resolve already does almost 80% of what Colorfront does; that last part is not worth $10,000 more (which is about what Colorfront costs).

I get that there are some things Resolve could not do: for example, Colorfront can use multiple GPUs to render out different transcodes of the same file at the same time, which is pretty clever: one version might be clean, another might have embedded visible timecode at the bottom, another might have visible scene & take numbers and production dates and camera/sound roll information. At least in Resolve, we could line them all up in the render queue, even use multiple machines if necessary to get the project done quickly.

More dailies features would be a great thing to have for assistant editors and DITs, and I think it's possible to do in Resolve.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Jim Simon

Re: More Dailies Features

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:59 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:use multiple GPUs to render out different transcodes of the same file at the same time
You sure Resolve can't? I mean, we can add multiple outputs per render queue item.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:11 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:use multiple GPUs to render out different transcodes of the same file at the same time
You sure Resolve can't? I mean, we can add multiple outputs per render queue item.
But not render at same time, it’s sequential queue and if you have more gpu (I had a computer with four gpu for 3d rendering) it not use the real power of four, but only since 1.5 speed.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jjsawdon

PostFri May 03, 2024 1:30 am

+1!
Online Editor & Scripter
GitHub: https://github.com/jjsawdon
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5407671
System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • macOS Monterey 12.7.4
  • 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:12 am

Jim Simon wrote:

No, I mean simultaneously -- not as a queued render. One source file, you hit one button, and you get 4 different files in X number of minutes, all at the same time. "How do it know?" It's magic.

You need to watch a Colorfront demo -- it's pretty hip. I don't like the color correction (at all), but it's a very popular program in the world of dailies. I know of local companies trying to force Resolve to work with dailies, but it's a little bit of a kludge. My joke is, "set up three laptops in a row running Resolve, and now you can do three different simultaneous renders at the same time." And the total cost might be cheaper than the $10,000+ for Colorfront. :D

Jim Simon

PostFri May 03, 2024 8:50 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:One source file, you hit one button, and you get 4 different files in X number of minutes, all at the same time.
Right.

In the Render Settings menu, Create Additional Video Output.

One item added to the Render Queue, multiple files output. :)

Now, I have only a single GPU, so I don't know how that performance would be distributed across multiple GPUs.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:27 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:One source file, you hit one button, and you get 4 different files in X number of minutes, all at the same time.
Right. In the Render Settings menu, Create Additional Video Output.

No, no, no. Resolve renders one deliverable at a time. Colorfront renders out four deliverables at the same time using different GPUs. It's pretty amazing.

A lot of the little things it can do involves very tweaky placement of timecode windows and stuff like that, but go to the Colorfront OSD page and look at the features for yourself:

https://colorfront.com/SOFTWARE/OnSet%20Dailies

It's a very, very, very complex setup with a lot of stuff going on. This ain't no simple "hit a button and go" thing. I haven't done dailies for many years, but I do know what's involved, and it's an interesting business that still happens. It's a major part of feature production and episodic TV production, every day of the week.

I'm just saying: I would love to see Resolve compete in this market. If there could be a "Resolve Dailies" software for $995 that rivals what Colorfont does for $9995, I would be very impressed.

Note that there are people trying to use Resolve for dailies, but it only gets about 80% of the way through compared to these dailies programs. MTI Cortex dailies is another competing program that is pretty amazing.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Yeah, that feature doesn't work like I thought it did.

I might have been recalling something from my Premiere Pro days.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSat May 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:...render out different transcodes of the same file at the same time

This would be great.
Especially when export settings while never make Resolve use 100% of the CPU and GPU.
There is always room for multiple exports.
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

ShaheedMalik

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:10 pm

+1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests