Tooth color

• Author

Francisco Bartolomé

Tooth color

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm

The new tool to improve lips, eyes, chin, etc. it is extraordinary.
But it would be great to add a module to improve the color and brightness of the teeth.
Older people have slightly deteriorated and yellow teeth, and we would like to improve their appearance.

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Tooth color

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:41 pm

I was actually thinking about this same thing yesterday during my color session, except I was wishing for Face Refinement to have a "eye whitening" slider to the Eye Retouching section. I was grading a ton of shots of talking heads that had to show up at an ungodly early hour for the shoot, and most of them had red eyes because of it.

Since the FR tool already tracks mouth and eyes, it would hopefully not be a difficult thing to add a "Scleral Desat" slider to Eye Retouch, and a "Whiten Teeth" slider to the Lip Retouching section (although I guess it would need to be renamed to "Mouth Retouch"?)
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Cligerson

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Oh, do not worry so much about the color of the teeth, unless they are certainly not wholly black xD. I don't think that snow-white teeth will look natural in the photo.

Tom Early

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 pm

I hate seeing unnaturally white eyes in print adverts, let's not get into that for video, teeth should be left alone too, you're just wasting your time if you think that's important. From a feature standpoint, both eyes and mouths open and close all the time with a lot of motion blur, it would be very difficult to automate such a thing.

-1 from me, waste of BMD's time to implement a feature that fundamentally shouldn't exist. For the very few occasions where subjects have red eye, just fix it manually, it's not too difficult.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Tom Early wrote:I hate seeing unnaturally white eyes in print adverts, let's not get into that for video, teeth should be left alone too, you're just wasting your time if you think that's important. From a feature standpoint, both eyes and mouths open and close all the time with a lot of motion blur, it would be very difficult to automate such a thing.

-1 from me, waste of BMD's time to implement a feature that fundamentally shouldn't exist. For the very few occasions where subjects have red eye, just fix it manually, it's not too difficult.

It's fine to have a personal preference for that aesthetic. But the truth is that clients--particularly ad agency clients--ask for these things ALL THE TIME. developing a feature which aids in this task is not a waste of time, any more than a "Vignette" OFX is a waste of time, even though I'm personally sick of seeing Vignettes on everything.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Dermot Shane

PostSun May 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:It's fine to have a personal preference for that aesthetic. But the truth is that clients--particularly ad agency clients--ask for these things ALL THE TIME. developing a feature which aids in this task is not a waste of time, any more than a "Vignette" OFX is a waste of time, even though I'm personally sick of seeing Vignettes on everything.

that's my experience as well, it's driven by my cleint's choices, not my sensibilities... anything that helps get though a session with less time on tracking / masking moves time to real creative / value add options

i mask / track / key teeth and eyes, being able to access the face refinment masks easly would be helpful

VioletWolf

PostSun May 02, 2021 7:35 pm

Plus one!
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Jason Conrad

Tooth color

PostSun May 02, 2021 8:14 pm

I’ve seen people on video conferences using some method of client-side tooth and eye whitening - like a Snapchat filter. It looks wholly unnatural, but it was a real-time effect. Whenever such effects are available through open source, it’s trivial for BMD to implement them, and I say go for it. But I wouldn’t waste any considerable personpower on it.

It also could just be a matter of re-training the segmentation models that BMD uses for feature recognition in magic mask. That doesn’t take as much developer effort as it does compute time. Of course there is cost associated with that compute time, and it’s up to BMD to decide whether it’s worth it. I wouldn’t be surprised if their models are already trained for teeth and eyes, though.

As for the aesthetic; as long as there’s a global mix slider I’m onboard. The trouble always comes from people overdoing it. Just look at HDR photography.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

danielstonehouse

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:46 am

This would be very useful. Teeth are always a pain to isolate, living as they do in a dark, shadowy fleshy coloured cave cave!

And it’s often necessary, not just for over the top Colgate Ad laser teeth style stuff

- teeth are a memory colour, so tend to need to be a little more neutral than other white items in warmly lit or graded environments

- teeth appear and disappear, and they convey emotion so they attract the viewers attention

- teeth condition are very tied into perceptions of beauty, age, and economic class. So often need to be adjusted if there is a mismatch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu May 02, 2024 12:29 am

Looks like we finally got this in Resolve 19!

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:14 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Looks like we finally got this in Resolve 19!

You know, I was going to put up a big argument on how difficult this would be to do, because of the changing light levels inside somebody's mouth, but damned if you aren't absolutely correct.

I know from past experience it's very, very difficult to quality a key on teeth, and in the past I've told clients, "my advice would be to take all the close-ups and send them out to a VFX person and do a 'beauty pass' on teeth and roto it all." I know of a pretty big music video where they absolutely did that, and they not only whitened the teeth, they painted over all the visible fillings and crowns (!!!) so the artist had absolutely perfect teeth throughout every shot. I hesitate to guess what this cost -- my memory is I had to drop in somewhere around 50 VFX shots for the final video. Call it $250 per shot, maybe $12,000 total. Pocket change for a huge music star.

I'm very, very impressed that the Dev Team went in and made so many improvements to Face Refinements -- to me, this might be the single biggest surprise in Resolve 19.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

ShaheedMalik

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:24 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Looks like we finally got this in Resolve 19!

What OFX is it in? Beauty?

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:21 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:What OFX is it in? Beauty?

It's in Face Refinement, which has been greatly expanded. I'm knocked out by how much work the dev team put into this.

Michel Rabe

PostFri May 03, 2024 7:33 am

Another long-time feature request being implemented in R19. They really delivered!

ShaheedMalik

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:26 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:What OFX is it in? Beauty?

It's in Face Refinement, which has been greatly expanded. I'm knocked out by how much work the dev team put into this.

I tested it yesterday. Face Refinement is great.

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 05, 2024 1:30 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:I tested it yesterday. Face Refinement is great.

The fact that it has user "hooks" in it now and you can manually tweak keyframes is a tremendous improvement. But the dev team took it a lot further and added far more features than I ever expected.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests