Feature Request : Online documentation of Resolve

• Author

okiewardoyo

Feature Request : Online documentation of Resolve

PostWed May 11, 2022 12:12 pm

Dear community, please, it's 2022. Hundres of PDF manual to be read is really pain, it would be better if it documented on website, not in PDF.
Thanks.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Sven H

Re: Feature Request : Online documentation of Resolve

PostWed May 11, 2022 12:30 pm

The manual is available on the website. You can access it with your browser. It's not the same as online documentation from other companies, tho, BUT

The Blackmagic manuals are incredibly detailed and possible some of the best out there. I haven't seen any software that is documented that well as Resolve. That takes a lot of work, especially for over 1.500 pages. So I don't think the chances for a web based layout are high. Remember, they not only do Resolve. There is Fusion and all of the other software and hardware stuff aswell.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 11, 2022 1:41 pm

I vote no. PDF is the industry standard document type for good reason. That needs to be kept.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks for reply Jim and Simon. What i mean is online documentation like this : https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-multi-camera-source-sequence.html
PDF is good for other people, but not effective for another people. The best way is online documentation.
by the way Has blackmagic have this?
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed May 11, 2022 5:24 pm

This seems like a reasonable and useful suggestion.
I believe there are programs that automatically produce such HTML-based doc from the source without need for hand editing.

Hopefully BMD will investigate or, if they've already done so and deemed it impractical, let us know here.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:19 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:This seems like a reasonable and useful suggestion.
I believe there are programs that automatically produce such HTML-based doc from the source without need for hand editing.

Hopefully BMD will investigate or, if they've already done so and deemed it impractical, let us know here.

Thank joe, most people search their problem from google. When you search your problem of Resolve, you wil never find the answer from BMD official page. Becouse no online documentation.

It wil help each other easely.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu May 12, 2022 5:16 am

Jim Simon wrote:I vote no. PDF is the industry standard document type for good reason. That needs to be kept.

How does an online html version of docs hinder the ability to read a pdf? Feature request is to add online docs, not to remove pdf version.
I do stuff

eikonoklastes

PostThu May 12, 2022 6:08 am

+1. I've consumed several app manuals over the last couple of decades, and perusing Resolve's monolith is by far the worst experience for me. An online, HTML version would be very welcome.

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 12, 2022 7:14 am

Note that you can also peruse the manual from the HELP menu within Resolve itself. The problem with making the manual available online is there are situations where a) an online connection isn't available, or b) facilities want to prevent system computers from getting online to prevent piracy and other information leaks. The manual only takes up 169MB of space, which is pretty minor these days (the DaVinci Resolve app itself is about 3GB plus related files).
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

eikonoklastes

PostThu May 12, 2022 8:29 am

Marc Wielage wrote:The problem with making the manual available online is there are situations where a) an online connection isn't available, or b) facilities want to prevent system computers from getting online to prevent piracy and other information leaks.

It's fairly trivial to run HTML docs on a local web server, no Internet connection needed.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu May 12, 2022 11:07 am

Marc Wielage wrote:The problem with making the manual available online is there are situations where a) an online connection isn't available, or b) facilities want to prevent system computers from getting online to prevent piracy and other information leaks.

How does any of this prevent you from reading the manual that came with installer? Online help should be additional to installer carried help because not every time when someone wants to check or read something from help is one behind desk and/or has Resolve running.
I do stuff

Sven H

PostFri May 13, 2022 10:06 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:

How does any of this prevent you from reading the manual that came with installer? Online help should be additional to installer carried help because not every time when someone wants to check or read something from help is one behind desk and/or has Resolve running.
Also, many workstations do not have an internet connection for various of reasons.

I do not think adding an online documentation is a bad idea per se. I just don't feel the need to spend resources on managing the well written manual plus an extra web version.

And I haven't seen any good examples of online documentations yet aswell.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri May 13, 2022 7:47 pm

Sven H wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:

Also, many workstations do not have an internet connection for various of reasons.

I do not think adding an online documentation is a bad idea per se. I just don't feel the need to spend resources on managing the well written manual plus an extra web version.

And I haven't seen any good examples of online documentations yet aswell.

Mmm, it's 2022, I was web developer back in the days (15-20 years ago), and even then, I was able to make html pages and PDF version of them from coming from an unique source.

There si nothing complicated, and any junior dev can do it not even in a day. It's not a lack of resources. I mean, yeah, you have to do it once, then each time the manual is updated, the web and the PDF versions are generated at the same time.

No needs to manage anything more than what exists already. The content would be exactly the same. The only difference is how quick it would be indexed, and searchable/usable.

For the "puriste", the online version could look almost exactly the same as the PDF version. But so much lighter. Nothing can beat CSS with simple text.

FL Studio (like hundreds of other company) has an online version : https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le ... ne-manual/ - with a search box that will suggest terms
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri May 13, 2022 7:56 pm

And BTW, having an online version of it would help for its accessibility to people who are not fluent in English. I'm sure the manual is not translated in every language.

It would be way easier for those people to learn and find stuff. And they will be less inclined to directly ask questions on the forum.

For me it's a win-win situation to have an online version of the manual. I don't see any drawbacks, only advantages.
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Howard Matthews

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 10:49 am

+1 to this. Should be an automatable process; both PDF and HTML versions have value in different contexts.

As an example of a huge and complex package that provides best-in-class HTML/online documentation, I'd cite Houdini. Its documentation is vast, rich, always up to date, eminently searchable. It presents both conceptual (prose) and reference information in a beautifully laid out and logical manner. Even manages to sneak in little moments of humour, without undermining the professional air. SideFX really know how to do docs (which, given how complex Houdini is, is kinda essential ;)

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:46 pm

As long as the included documentation is kept up to date, I don't see the problem.

The worst is when doc is online only. Or... maybe this is the worst: when it's online only and you don't find that out until you're on a plane trying to get stuff done, and then encounter a problem you need to look up.

The idea of serving HTML doc locally on your computer is absurd, however. You can put the current manual on an E-reader or tablet. I have the Resolve manual in Books on my Mac, which syncs to my iPad. That's not going to work with a pile of HTML.

Charles Bennett

PostWed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm

A comprehensive clickable index would go a long way to making the manual more usable. Though much smaller the Pro Tools manual has this making it so much easier to use.
Attachments
PT Manual Index.jpg
PT Manual Index.jpg (299.77 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests