Fairlight editing features

• Author

Jnicholas

Fairlight editing features

PostThu May 02, 2024 10:07 am

I’m wondering if there is any scope or proposed timeline for bringing back features into Fairlight that were previously available when it was a standalone DAW? I’m getting deep into the weeds editing some complex podcast and spoken word material and would like to have the ability to readily slip audio within clips, trim clips whilst ripple shifting everything down the timeline and ideally have four point or source/destination edits either within one timeline or across two open timelines in different windows. It’s my understanding, from reading the old Xynergy manual and speaking to editors who either used to or are still using the systems, that much of this and more was available when it was a standalone system. I’ve tried doing some of these things in the Edit page, however, that’s frame based and I need to sample/time based edits.

I’m assuming BMD have all the source code and IP for the older version of Fairlight (realising that it’s obviously not as simple as cutting and pasting it into Resolve). But it would seem the underlying technology is already there somewhere. I just wonder if there is any call or impetus for them to incorporate these things. I have a licence for SADIE, however it’s not been updated for years and looks like it may be headed for retirement. Sequoia is thousands of dollars…there just aren’t a lot of options for high-end editors that incorporate these features. I would think that if BMD could re-incorporate all the original features of Fairlight or potentially offer it as a freestanding DAW, they would have an inroad into all manner of radio broadcast and podcasting markets (especially with the hardware controller and cloud collaboration in BM Cloud).

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight editing features

PostThu May 02, 2024 10:29 am

Jnicholas wrote:would like to have the ability to readily slip audio within clips
In Resolve's UI on the Fairlight Timeline, use the Trim menu > Slip Audio > One Frame/Subframe Forward/Reverse commands.

From the Fairlight Audio Editor hardware panel's Edit megamode, use the CTRL modifier to toggle the Nudge Left/Right keys to Media Left/Right keys. These keys nudge by Frame.

The Slip Media key uses the CTI as Edit Point to slip media accurately down to the sample level.

The Fairlight Audio Editor hardware panel's Alt key layout (Setup Megamode > Console Setup > Alt Layout) features the Editor megamode which includes a dedicated Nudge Sync key and switch. When latched this function provides options to nudge media by Frame (+/- FR keys) and SubFrame (+/- VAR keys).

The Fairlight Audio Editor hardware panel provides additional advanced editing options such as dedicated Trim Clip, Slip Clip, Slip Head, and Slip Tail keys.

trim clips whilst ripple shifting everything down the timeline
In Resolve's UI, use the Edit menu > Ripple Delete command.

From the Fairlight Audio Editor hardware panel's Edit megamode, use the CTRL modifier to toggle the Top/All Layers key to the Razor key. When selected, the Razor key exposes a Razor blade icon to indicate that Ripple editing mode is active.

The Fairlight Audio Editor hardware panel also provides a Macro megamode to automate editing and include any of the available editing functions within a multi-step command which may be executed from a single hardware switch.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Jnicholas

Re: Fairlight editing features

PostSat May 04, 2024 10:53 pm

Thanks for the tips, Reynaud; I'll give those a go. I have the sense that I can do much of what I'm wanting to do with the Desktop Editor. I've been discussing this with someone who uses one and also had the Xynergy system when Fairlight was a standalone DAW. I think I'm also just looking for an excuse to invest in the hardware. ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests