Custom Set Timeline Length

• Author

ShaheedMalik

Custom Set Timeline Length

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:53 pm

I've been watching Avid Media Composer videos and I see it uses the concept of reels based of the reel length of actual 35mm film.

I would love to get an option inside of Project Settings to have a default custom Timeline length for each new timeline in that project, as well as have an option to set a custom timeline length in the Create New Timeline dialog box.

Let's say you are making videos for your YouTube channel and you want each video to be exactly 5:00, with this you can set it up and not worry about going over.

Marc Wielage

Re: Custom Set Timeline Length

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:25 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:Let's say you are making videos for your YouTube channel and you want each video to be exactly 5:00, with this you can set it up and not worry about going over.

I have a cheap workaround that will do this for you:

Create an empty project and set all the bins and settings and timelines up exactly the way you want. If you need a 5-minute timeline, then on the top Video track, take Generator black and make it 5 minutes long by stretching it out to the right. Save this as "My 5-Minute YouTube Template."

Now, when you have a new YouTube show, open up this empty project, give it a name and today's date, then deselect the Generator black layer though it's still visible on the Edit page. Cut your show, and if you're worried about time, look at where the black clip is up on top. Very simple to do.

Another thing I've done is just to pop up a timecode Burn-In up all the time in one corner of the picture, and I just keep an eye on it so I know how far we're getting into the promo or the segment or whatever it is. All these methods can work.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

ShaheedMalik

Re: Custom Set Timeline Length

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:09 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:Let's say you are making videos for your YouTube channel and you want each video to be exactly 5:00, with this you can set it up and not worry about going over.

I have a cheap workaround that will do this for you:

Create an empty project and set all the bins and settings and timelines up exactly the way you want. If you need a 5-minute timeline, then on the top Video track, take Generator black and make it 5 minutes long by stretching it out to the right. Save this as "My 5-Minute YouTube Template."

Now, when you have a new YouTube show, open up this empty project, give it a name and today's date, then deselect the Generator black layer though it's still visible on the Edit page. Cut your show, and if you're worried about time, look at where the black clip is up on top. Very simple to do.

Another thing I've done is just to pop up a timecode Burn-In up all the time in one corner of the picture, and I just keep an eye on it so I know how far we're getting into the promo or the segment or whatever it is. All these methods can work.

That's a good work around, it still should be added though even if it is bring more people over from Media Composer.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests