Caution in using beta - worse case scenario?

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

rsf123

Caution in using beta - worse case scenario?

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 12:32 am

I'm not a professional video editor, so it doesn't bother me if the app crashes.

But I'd be concerned if the beta were to totally mess up the code of my Project, to the point of the Project being irreparable.

When people warn against using betas, are we talking about just crashing, or that Projects can be totally ruined in their coding?

Steve Alexander

Re: Caution in using beta - worse case scenario?

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 12:36 am

Projects could be totally ruined and project or even library corruption could occur - BMD is also free to make changes in later betas that might invalidate the work done using earlier betas. I haven't seen this last point myself, but you never know. You shouldn't do professional work with a beta release although others may disagree.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 am

The bad things rarely happen but there’s no guarantee they won’t.
At a minimum one should make a backup of the DB before upgrading so that one knows there’s a valid project to go back to just in case. Exporting a drp for projects you care about is also a good precaution.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:04 am

Before updating Resolve, whether or not it's a Beta, always backup your Libraries and all important/active projects to two separate locations, at least one of which should be off the system. You can use an external drive, a thumb drive, SD card or online methods like Dropbox, One Drive, etc.

If you ever need to uninstall and go back a version, you won't lose any work earlier than the update.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roguemable

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

Unfortunately, I did not see your sage advice before installing the 19 Beta. In the past, I recall having to manually replace the older version of the app with the new version. So, that was my intention, to keep both versions and "try out the beta", only to find that it had replaced 10.6.6.

Now I can't render a large project I have been working on for a year due to error after error. I don't have time to rebuild it. I need help! -MK-

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

I’m assuming you have not turned or nor tried project or timeline backups?

Please start with details of your system, the nfo and resolve generated diagnostic logs. As per the FAQs, post a link to them here with the .drp for to problem project.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 am

Hi,

Not being an expert code developer myself, I've been wondering:

- what does actually prevent Resolve developers from enabling us to install more than a single version of the system on the same Windows machine?

I understand perfectly Resolve is a large and comprehensive program, but if we - the user base - could install and use Betas (or simply new releases) for testing and learning while keeping an older, proven version for mission-critical work, it could benefit both parties (the user base AND the BMD development team)...

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Steve Alexander

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm

I imagine one of the sticking points is that they currently share the same configuration files and library (database) so if a new version updates those files, the older version may not be able to access them any longer. On Windows there may also be DLLs (shared code libraries) that are shared between installations that get overwritten by a new install and become incompatible with the old installation (I have no idea if Resolve suffers from this particular issue, though because I've heard of people doing a side-by-side installation in Windows - it's just not recommended).

Having said this, since it seems you can install a beta version and then roll-back to an earlier version (except for updated projects and/or databases that were migrated), the issue with invalid configuration files does not seem to be a real issue (or is silently handled - I don't know).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

roguemable

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 am

I was not able to move back to 18.6, so I uninstalled and reinstalled 19 Beta. After doing so, I was able to render without issue. So, I don't know what caused the issue, but at least it is not preventing me from completing the project. As a side note, I am already enjoying some of the 19 Beta features,

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta