FR / BR Detect changed still images

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

steve oakley

FR / BR Detect changed still images

PostThu May 09, 2024 6:18 pm

I know this is "as designed" but the design is bad. I've also filed this before but it needs to get fixed !

basically if you edit a still image in your image editor of choice, save to the same file, R fails to see the change. There are a few workaround from restarting the app, relinking media, etc, but these are all pretty bad. R really needs to have at the minimum a Refresh Media manual command in the contextual menu. Just reload the media. that shouldn't be very hard to do ? ideally R auto detects the change like other NLE's. but for now a manual update would be ok. when you have dozens or more still images in a project, make a little image edit, this can really get to be a big pain, as well as risk the updated edited image doesn't get used in final export because R didn't see the change and uses rendered media in export. that leads to the dreaded I know I fixed that routine to track down what went wrong.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Jim Simon

Re: FR / BR Detect changed still images

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:10 pm

The best handing for now is to always save new versions with new file names and do a Replace.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:48 pm

steve oakley wrote:R really needs to have at the minimum a Refresh Media manual command in the contextual menu.
Agree 100%.

steve oakley

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:57 am

Jim Simon wrote:The best handing for now is to always save new versions with new file names and do a Replace.

when you have a 250+ still images over 3 years in one project, that really becomes fraught with danger, project bloat, media bloat and can waste many gigs of space. I've had to make small fixes on quite a few images and manually tracking all those updated images is another layer of things to go wrong. remember, KISS :)

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

ohimbz

PostFri May 10, 2024 5:48 am

I struggle somehow with the same thing, i usually end up renaming the files just so i can load them again... but it is not feasible when you have to deal with a lot of files.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

Joe Shapiro

PostFri May 10, 2024 8:19 am

Yes this needs to get fixed. But we’re not the arbiters of if and/or when it does.

There are workarounds other than renaming the files. They aren’t great but they’re better than nothing.

I think removing the cache folder is one of them. There are probably less drastic versions as well.

Again I agree but we have no power.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm

steve oakley wrote:can waste many gigs of space.
Delete the old ones. ;)

For keeping track, I use a system. I append _r to mean 'Revised". If I revise again, I use _ra, then _rb, etc.

_v1 and _v2 are also good systems.

And remember, it's just a way to handle the problem. Feature Request is probably the only way to solve it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:15 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:There are probably less drastic versions as well.
Personally I use the 'Replace Selected Clip...' function and replace the media pool item with itself. Its an annoyingly long-winded Finder/Explorer centric operation.

steve oakley

PostSat May 11, 2024 2:28 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Yes this needs to get fixed. But we’re not the arbiters of if and/or when it does.

Again I agree but we have no power.

bug / feature requests are our power. the more people who bring up the same problem to be solved, the better chance it gets on the radar sooner to be addressed. Sometimes it takes a few reminders that older problems like this need to get on the burner as a priority. fixing this isn't a shiny new feature, but it would be a big quality of life fix for those with lots of stills or even mov files being updated. another example is rendering a title out in fusion thats been through 15 revisions over the last 2 weeks which has revisions last year. V32 now :/

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Joe Shapiro

PostSat May 11, 2024 11:47 pm

I totally agree with you. However my experience here has told me that by and large it’s of no use.

When I first decided to make Resolve my daily driver I spent an inordinate amount of time illustrating bugs and lobbying for features. Mostly small, easy to code features that would smooth the editing experience. I can think of one that was implemented. Someone complained that they liked it better before and the feature was withdrawn never to appear again.

I did manage to make a difference on waveform syncing. When I first tried it, waveform sync was seriously broken in several ways. I gave BMD extensive reproducible test cases and they actually interacted with me and fixed it. I haven’t had such an experience with them since.

In a way the management is just as important as the program itself when picking a software environment in which to live. As far as I can tell all the NLEs have somewhat dysfunctional relationships with their rank and file user bases. So I stay here hoping that BMD will one day decide to make Edit workflow and customer support more of a core competency.

That didn’t happen with v19. So I cross my fingers and hope things will get better in the future. Or someone will come up with a real follow-on to FCP7 with its attention to silky smooth workflow. If that happens I’ll go there.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta