Smoothing on curve editor in edit page

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

Umberto Uderzo

Smoothing on curve editor in edit page

PostThu May 09, 2024 7:34 am

I noticed that when working on the clip curve editor, if i activate keyframe smoothing on zoom curve the curve gets effectively smoothed out while doing the same thing in x/y position the smooth handles appears but the curve is not automatically smoothed, it keeps being linear and a manual intervention is needed for actual smoothing.
I wonder why this behaviour and not the same of the zoom curve which i think is the desired one when activating smoothing handles.
Moreover, the editor is generally screen space limited and it's difficult to place the smoothing handles precisely.
This applies to all Resolve versions that support this function, as far as i can recall.

Jim Simon

Re: Smoothing on curve editor in edit page

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:08 pm

I can't duplicate this in Studio 19b2 for Windows. Seems to be working fine.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Umberto Uderzo

PostThu May 09, 2024 4:33 pm

i'm referring to the curve editor that unfolds pressing the curve button on the clip, not the one on the viewer.
Create two keyframes for a clip in two different positions. Open the curve editor then select X position or Y position (whatever you moved the clip on), select the first keyframe then select the ease in button. The smoothing handle appears but it's aligned to the original linear movement segment.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 09, 2024 6:10 pm

That's exactly how I tested. Worked fine.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Umberto Uderzo

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:43 am

This is what happens on my machine (Windows 10)

The position is not automatically smoothed when activated on the node while the zoom is (which is desirable imo).

Lewis3D

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:38 am

What happens if you select both key frames (start and end) and then run smoothing on it ?
--
Lewis
www.ram-studio.hr
PC: AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM
GPUs: RTX 3090 + 2*RTX 4090
NAS1: Synology RS1221+ 25Gbit NIC
NAS2: Synology DS-1817+ 10GBit NIC

Steve Alexander

PostFri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

Umberto Uderzo wrote:i'm referring to the curve editor that unfolds pressing the curve button on the clip, not the one on the viewer.
Create two keyframes for a clip in two different positions. Open the curve editor then select X position or Y position (whatever you moved the clip on), select the first keyframe then select the ease in button. The smoothing handle appears but it's aligned to the original linear movement segment.

Yes - this is how it works as far as I can see. Can't add the 'smoothing' automatically in the way you are thinking of it (per dimension) because doing so would move the object off its path. The whole XY position key framing is a bit of a problem more generally since smoothing is not really performed on a per-dimension basis but rather in two dimensions over time. That's probably why there are additional acceleration handles in the transform tools overlay for position changes. These should be used rather than keyframe manipulation in the keyframe graph for position.

I should note that when you keyframe XY and set ease in / out for the keyframes in the inspector, Resolve does smooth the velocity, just not as a curve in X or Y curve editor graphs.

Add - Playing with this a bit I noticed that the curve graph does not accurately depict the acceleration options selected in the inspector (making the curve graph useless for manipulating X,Y position keyframes, really). So again, it looks like your best bet is to stick with the transform tools overlay rather than the curve graph for X,Y position. Note that on the transform tools overlay you can also change the keyframe to 'smooth' by right-clicking on it.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Umberto Uderzo

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:04 pm

Yes, i get the point. Anyway, the overlay interface is somewhat a clue to use, i cannot wrap my mind around it.
Hope that something can do in future on this aspect, being able to use curves like in fusion could be useful.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri May 10, 2024 8:10 pm

might sound like annoying advice, but i never use the keyframes/curves in the edit page. Opening the fusion page might feel cumbersome at first but once you get the hang of it, it is just as quick or maybe quicker.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 11, 2024 2:44 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:i never use the keyframes/curves in the edit page.
Same. If the right click option on the keyframes in the Inspector don't produce satisfactory results, it's time for Fusion.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

visualfeast

PostWed May 15, 2024 3:43 am

Relevant video & a handy “all in the Inspector” fix:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/103TB RAID/4080 Super FE/Intensity Pro 4K/2x PA278CGV/U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.4 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 15, 2024 12:50 pm

That bit about using the anchor point is a gem :-)

Add - Just don't try to ease-in/out the anchor point - at least not on 19b2 - I just tried it (using the anchor point to create a smooth pan on a fixed zoomed-in image) and it went totally bonkers. Linear works fine.

Looks like the math is incorrect when interpolating between anchor points such that the x value goes full negative and then wraps around to the final positive position. The y interpolation seems fine. Very odd.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta