Davinci Studio Fails to Launch

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

lowreyb

Davinci Studio Fails to Launch

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:55 pm

Hey,

So a few days ago, the 18 software just refuses to boot up. Working on MacBook. The problem only seems to happen on Studio. I downloaded 19 Free version and it works fine. Then downloaded 19 beta studio version. And it crashes and never boots. Please advise.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Studio Fails to Launch

PostFri May 03, 2024 6:09 pm

The free version from the BMD site works, or was it the Apple App Store free version?

We need a Resolve diagnostics log. Open Finder and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double left click the CaptureLogs app to run it.

This will place a Resolve log file with a .tgz extension on your Desktop.

It may be too large to attach here. If so, put it on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file.

Since you are new Forum user, it probably won't allow you to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL so the system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

lowreyb

PostFri May 03, 2024 11:16 pm

So the problem originally started with a BMD downloaded version of Studio 18 with key. I tried beta 19 from BMD, it was the non studio version. And it has worked fine. Realized I downloaded the free version so I uninstalled and then grabbed the beta 19 Studio from BMD. It has failed to boot up past the opening splash screen.

ht tps://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBiDhyla ... share_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 06, 2024 5:09 pm

My best guess is it's due to your Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 iGPU only having 1.5 GB of VRAM, and Resolve Studio requiring at least 2GB of VRAM.
Dwaine Maggart

lowreyb

PostMon May 06, 2024 5:17 pm

I see. But the free version runs perfectly fine and the studio ran fine for about a week or so. So you are saying it just decided that it can't handle it anymore?

Thanks for looking into for me.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 06, 2024 9:52 pm

Because your hardware doesn't meet minimum system requirements, I didn't put that much effort into digging deeper.

On 4-22 at 14:01, you exited an 18.6.6 Studio session successfully.

Next time you launched Resolve was on 4-28 and that time, and from then on, 18.6.6 and 19b20 Studio did not launch successfully.

macOS version didn't change. But I assume something changed on the system between 4-22 and 4-28. Did you add any 3rd party OFX or audio plugins? Or 3rd party Fusion effects/titles? Or some other app?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 07, 2024 6:01 am

I think I've figured out why Resolve Studio is crashing for you.

Have a look in your System Settings - Network area, and for your active network device, select Details, then select Proxies. Pretty sure you'll find you have something configured in that area. And that will break Resolve Studio 18.6.5 and higher from launching or activating.

I don't have a solution other than not configuring anything in the Proxies area, or using Resolve Studio 18.6.4.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta