Bug Sound Library

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Bug Sound Library

PostTue May 07, 2024 12:50 pm

I changed the name of the root folder of my sound library on my computer, and added the new path to the sound library in Resolve.

It kept the old listing (but empty) and added the new one.

It's a big mess now.
Attachments
soujldlibrary.jpg
soujldlibrary.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Reynaud Venter

Re: Bug Sound Library

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:05 pm

Changing File System naming does not update the database, so this is not a recommended action.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Videoneth

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:52 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Changing File System naming does not update the database, so this is not a recommended action.

And that's a Resolve problem :)

We should be able to reset the sound library database, or be able to point at a new root folder, like we can do with "relink selected clip".

Saying it's not a recommended action is weird because people can't expect to add their library once, and not touch it again, ever.
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:04 am

You need to create a new DB with the new path.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Videoneth

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:04 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote: You need to create a new DB with the new path.

What do you mean?

I'll have a non-working sound library (or empty duplicates now) in my main database, but I have to create a whole new database just for the sound library. Then what happens if an audio file is renamed or deleted? Or has the name of the folder changed?

We can have dead entries in a database, and nothing can be corrected (for now).

Imagine if it worked that way with regular projects. You start one, and then you can't change any name or any location for the files, and you'll have to create a new database or a new project from scratch. You can't change the path of the root folder or individual files because it would break the project.

I'm not only thinking about myself here. I imagine that there are many, many people who can't find many of their audio assets because they decided to re-organize their folder or just move things around.

They just forget about this Sound Library thing and just open a window folder to find what they need.

That's exactly what I did. When I reorganized my asset folder, a couple days later, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see and hear my audio files.

No error, no "unlinked" files, or anything indicating that there is a problem. I just thought, I'll "Add library", select the root folder, and it will know which audio file is which because they didn't change (same size, same hash), and it would update their names.

Then I realized what happened, and here we are.

The database of the Sound Library is clearly poorly designed.

It's pretty crazy to think that this part of Resolve for managing audio assets has been broken for so long. Being able to manage audio assets is as important as video assets. It would have been better if this hadn't even existed honestly. - I don't get why BMD spend so much time to develop things that are not covering at least 90% of the use case scenarios related to them.

I know it's not your fault, Peter, so don't take this response personally. But years after years, seeing things added to Resolve with 0 thoughts behind them is getting old. It's just bloat that could be very useful if it was integrated properly.

It's never fixed or removed, and new things that are added are poorly designed.
Wasn't the goal to start on a new base?

I don't understand how anyone at BMD who edits videos would look at the Sound Library and say, Yes, it's perfect, no flaws, no problems. This works very logically.

Anyone using it for 5 mins would see how limited and pretty much useless this is, before opening the root folder from the explorer/finder. Even adding in/out points doesn't work every time.

Rant off.

PS.
This is obviously a problem that is not related exclusively to the beta of v19, but something since the sound library exists.
Windows 10
19b2
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 09, 2024 1:56 am

We treat audio and video assets for a project differently to the sound library assets. If the sound library has its own project library (DB) quite separate to the active and changing audio and video assets for projects which you can relink when you move through normal media pool tools, the sound library can be updated much easier.

And yes, it's something we can improve, but im just advising how you can solve your current situation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta