Resolve will not load video files. Freezes loading projects.

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

rhouse21

PostTue May 07, 2024 5:24 pm

I just upgraded my computer to an AMD Ryzen 7700X CPU with my existing Radeon RX 580 video card and Resolve will not load any video files. I am seeing this issue in two ways.

1) I can open new projects, but Resolve will not load/manipulate any video files that I import into the timeline (they just show up as blank thumbnails.

2) When I load an existing project, the loading bar freezes while trying to load the file and resolve stops responding.

This issue originally occurred using ver 18.6, so I upgraded to ver 19 hoping it would resolve the issue. I have un-installed and reinstalled several times, but nothing is working.

I am at a complete work stoppage on this right now. I upgraded because of a motherboard failure, so I cannot go back to my previous configuration. I have been able to load my projects on a back-up laptop to verify that they have not been corrupted, but this computer is not powerful enough for me to edit effectively.

Resolve Error 2.png
Resolve Error 2.png (99.35 KiB) Viewed 447 times

Resolve Error 3.png
Resolve Error 3.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 447 times

Resolve Error 4.png
Resolve Error 4.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 447 times

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7700X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580
Window 11
32GB RAM

rhouse21

PostTue May 07, 2024 11:46 pm

I just upgraded my motherboard & CPU after a system failure and Resolve now refuses to load or manipulate any video files.

I initially was running ver 18.6. I upgraded to ver 19 after discovering the error, but am getting the same issue. I am able to open my projects on another computer, so I know they are not corrupted, but they will not load on my primary editing workstation.

The problem manifests in 2 ways.

1) If I attempt to load an existing project, Resolve will freeze and some random point and go unresponsive.

2) If I load new project, resolve will appear to work fine, but any videos I import will be stuck with blank thumbnails and cannot be manipulated.

My WH is listed below
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
32 GB RAM
Attachments
Resolve Error 3.png
Screenshot of error
Resolve Error 3.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 447 times
PC_Info.zip
Compressed NFO file
(122.39 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240507_193158.zip
Resolve Log File
(200.94 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Noerde

Re: Resolve will not load video files. Freezes loading proje

PostWed May 08, 2024 12:15 pm

rhouse21 wrote:My WH is listed below
32 GB RAM

Does it work if you use just the integrated graphics (which is really slow), have you updated the GPU drivers to the latest version etc.

[0x00001058] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2024-05-05 20:09:31,563 | Unsupported OpenCL GPUs:
[0x00001058] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2024-05-05 20:09:31,563 | - "AMD Radeon Graphics" (gpu:214edf1a.87f9f46f): Discrete GPU in use

[0x00005164] | DVIP | ERROR | 2024-05-05 20:09:32,570 | Failed to create OpenCL context:

DVIP Exception: OpenCL error

In any case using an ancient GPU with a modern CPU is not the best option. The performance is not really balanced even if it worked.

rhouse21

PostWed May 08, 2024 5:08 pm

Noerde wrote:
rhouse21 wrote:My WH is listed below
32 GB RAM

Does it work if you use just the integrated graphics (which is really slow), have you updated the GPU drivers to the latest version etc.

[0x00001058] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2024-05-05 20:09:31,563 | Unsupported OpenCL GPUs:
[0x00001058] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2024-05-05 20:09:31,563 | - "AMD Radeon Graphics" (gpu:214edf1a.87f9f46f): Discrete GPU in use

[0x00005164] | DVIP | ERROR | 2024-05-05 20:09:32,570 | Failed to create OpenCL context:

DVIP Exception: OpenCL error

In any case using an ancient GPU with a modern CPU is not the best option. The performance is not really balanced even if it worked.

I have the latest drivers loaded. I tried a number of options including disabling the integrated graphics "which gave me the unsupported GPU error"... which surprised me because I have been using this GPU since before upgrading the CPU & MB.

I mainly use this computer for video editing and CAD. The Radeon RX 580 is a bit old, but it is still ranked at ~50th percentile in the PassMark benchmarks and is plenty fast for my use cases. This computer is a BEAST in my CAD workloads (which had no problem with the GPU) so I really don't want to spend a few hundred dollars more for a "modern" GPU if I can avoid it.

Noerde

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:25 pm

rhouse21 wrote:I mainly use this computer for video editing and CAD. The Radeon RX 580 is a bit old, but it is still ranked at ~50th percentile in the PassMark benchmarks and is plenty fast for my use cases. This computer is a BEAST in my CAD workloads (which had no problem with the GPU)

I'm not sure, but it seems RX580 does not support opencl the right way. CAD is not hard on the GPU and doesn't use much of the VRAM only CPU. Video editing does, at least if editing higher resolution footage and using GPU accelerated functions.

I can't say for sure if RX580 should be supported or not, but the logs you sent suggested that the program did not think so.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:32 pm

The RX580 should be fine.

The NFO shows you have a display connected to the RX580 and to the onboard graphics port. Is that true? If so, you need to have all displays connected to the RX580 card.

If you do have both displays connected to the RX580 card, then use the DDU app to remove the AMD GPU driver, and then reinstall it. This seems to fix a lot of AMD issues.

According to the NFO, you have a different AMD driver installed for the RX580 and the onboard iGPU. I don't know if DDU will see both those as separate GPU's or not. But ideally, you'd want DDU to remove both the AMD drivers.

Details for acquiring and using DDU are on this forum thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=%2Bddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rhouse21

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:11 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The RX580 should be fine.

The NFO shows you have a display connected to the RX580 and to the onboard graphics port. Is that true? If so, you need to have all displays connected to the RX580 card.

If you do have both displays connected to the RX580 card, then use the DDU app to remove the AMD GPU driver, and then reinstall it. This seems to fix a lot of AMD issues.

According to the NFO, you have a different AMD driver installed for the RX580 and the onboard iGPU. I don't know if DDU will see both those as separate GPU's or not. But ideally, you'd want DDU to remove both the AMD drivers.

Details for acquiring and using DDU are on this forum thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=%2Bddu#p659861

Both displays are plugged into the RX 580. I upgraded the GPU driver using the AMD utility right after upgrading the MB & CPU, but I didn't check whether all the old drivers were properly purged. I'll try using DDU to make sure I have a clean driver install when I get home this evening.

rhouse21

PostThu May 09, 2024 5:55 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:According to the NFO, you have a different AMD driver installed for the RX580 and the onboard iGPU. I don't know if DDU will see both those as separate GPU's or not. But ideally, you'd want DDU to remove both the AMD drivers.

I may have made a breakthrough. The RX 580 is based on the AMD VEGA GPU architecture, so even though they are posting "new" drivers online, they stopped development on these GPUs years ago. So, they are really just re-distributing older drivers under the hood.

The AMD driver suite automatically installs RDNA drivers when it detects the presence of the R7 7700X iGPU and the older drivers for the RX 580 which apparently confuses Resolve.

I tried disabling the iGPU in the BIOS, but neither Windows nor Resolve liked that. Neither would properly recognize the RX 580 without the iGPU enabled.

It's looking like I am just going to have to upgrade to an RDNA-based GPU. Hopefully that takes care of this.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2024 7:09 pm

This AMD driver crap makes me insane!

I had an RX7600 in my test system with a 23.8.1 driver. When I replaced the RX7600 with an RX580, Resolve didn't detect the AMD card at all, and trying to run the Adrenalin app said the current GPU was not compatible with the installed driver.

OK. Used the AMD driver site auto-detect app to detect the GPU and install the proper driver. Same results. No Resolve detect, and Adrenalin app said the installed GPU not compatible with the driver. But based on the reported System Info driver for the RX580, it reported a 24.3.1 driver installed.

OK, so manually did an RX580 driver select. It downloaded a 23.4.1 driver who's name was appended with mar20-vega-polaris. That looked encouraging. Installed it, and same as above. WTH?

So used DDU to uninstall the AMD GPU driver, then ran the driver installer above, and now everything is happy. Resolve detects and is happy with the RX580 card, and the Adrenalin sw is also happy and reports 24.3.1 installed.

So the RX580 works fine with Resolve, but you may need to jump through hoops to get the proper driver installed. SMH...
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rhouse21

PostMon May 13, 2024 5:13 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:This AMD driver crap makes me insane!

I had an RX7600 in my test system with a 23.8.1 driver. When I replaced the RX7600 with an RX580, Resolve didn't detect the AMD card at all, and trying to run the Adrenalin app said the current GPU was not compatible with the installed driver.

OK. Used the AMD driver site auto-detect app to detect the GPU and install the proper driver. Same results. No Resolve detect, and Adrenalin app said the installed GPU not compatible with the driver. But based on the reported System Info driver for the RX580, it reported a 24.3.1 driver installed.

OK, so manually did an RX580 driver select. It downloaded a 23.4.1 driver who's name was appended with mar20-vega-polaris. That looked encouraging. Installed it, and same as above. WTH?

So used DDU to uninstall the AMD GPU driver, then ran the driver installer above, and now everything is happy. Resolve detects and is happy with the RX580 card, and the Adrenalin sw is also happy and reports 24.3.1 installed.

So the RX580 works fine with Resolve, but you may need to jump through hoops to get the proper driver installed. SMH...

Thanks for all the hard work! I honestly gave up and bought an RX 6650 XT from a local store which was detected and seems to work now.... mostly.

Now resolve is refusing to decode video in half of my h.265 encoded source videos... but works fine on the other half.

I'll run DDU to purge ALL the old drivers and re-evaluate the 2 video cards. If I can get the RX 580 running, it may be worth keeping it in this computer, but from what I'm seeing online, the free version of Resolve 19 may soon allow GPU decoding, so I might want to keep the RX 6650 XT to future-proof this computer a bit.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 14, 2024 7:10 am

So glad to run the 580 (actually two of them) under MacOS.
Simply works.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta