Addressed artifacts when using Speed Warp on Mac and Nvidi

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

capthook

Addressed artifacts when using Speed Warp on Mac and Nvidi

PostWed May 08, 2024 12:53 am

19 Beta 2
'• Addressed artifacts when using Speed Warp on Mac and Nvidia systems.'

Nice. I was just going to post about this. Seemed to be worse than 18.x.
Like the algorithm had changed.
Looking forward to trying it.

An 'extreme' option that sacrifices render speed (slower) for even better motion estimation is my vote for next time!
But 18.x was really good - so here is to 19 beta 2!

*a side note: Color Page object magic mask has also gotten really good.
The person magic mask - still not so much.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Dermot Shane

Re: Addressed artifacts when using Speed Warp on Mac and Nvi

PostWed May 08, 2024 6:00 am

i opened a show this evening that i graded - and was finished by someone else in 2022, and last month a secondary licencee had issues with some speed warped shots

the finishing artist was not to be found, so i opened the project in v19.0.b1 and could not see any issues with the shots flagged, sent a section print to their QC asking them to provide some guideance

reply came back this evening: "well done, the artifacts are removed, thank you"

i don't have access to the 2022 master to check, only the project file and cam orig - but i really did nothing but open the show in v19 and export.. so yea, someone seems to think it's noticably better, guess i'll need to open it in v17 to see what the old master looks like ;-)

oh that all Qc issues were so easy to sort.. well done to the Resolve dev's.. thanks for making me look smarter than i am...

capthook

Re: Addressed artifacts when using Speed Warp on Mac and Nvi

PostSat May 11, 2024 7:08 am

Tried some speed warp on 19.0b2 (optical flow/speed warp better) - it does seem better than the occasional harsh artifacts on 19.0b1, but I'm not sure it's as good as 18.x? I don't have the same source material as used previously.
It *IS* amazingly fast though.
The Neural AI profile did regenerate again with 19.0b2 like it did with 19.0b1.

*another side note on Magic Mask: if you are using speed warp, but have it disabled (red dot turned off) to save compute power, and then do some magic masking, and then enable speed warp for export, the magic mask tracking will be lost.
I always put my magic mask node as the 1st or 2nd node to prevent changes in other nodes from messing with the tracked magic mask node. (and then pass the alpha to adjacent new nodes for corrections)
But disabling/enabling speed warp will mess with this. (makes sense as the source material changes)
A work-around is to export the speed warp/primary grade, then import and do a 2nd export with the magic masking.
This would seem to even be a preferred process as then the rendered speed warp is being used for the masking.
(or just leaving speed warp enabled at the cost of a slower computer/workflow)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta