Clips selected in cut page with speed editor are offline

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

Mircea

Clips selected in cut page with speed editor are offline

PostWed May 08, 2024 6:12 am

In Davinci Resolve beta 19, all my clips from the timeline that were selected using the speed editor in the cut page are shown as media offline, next time when i open the project.
If I do the same thing in the edit page everything is fine.
I didn't run into these problemes with Resolve 18

Resolve Studio 19
M2 Max

Tobias Heilmann

Re: Clips selected in cut page with speed editor are offline

PostWed May 08, 2024 7:15 am

R19b2

I am experiencing something similar. I did a rough selection of clips in the cut page (with the speed editor).

All of a sudden the clips were offline. But the clips in the timeline no longer show as individual clips. Every clip is now named: 24 Clips - Multiple Bins. All the references to the source clip, timecode, etc. are gone.
Boli Pura Media
Germany/Greece

System Info:

Resolve 19 b2
OS X 14.4,1

Model: Mac Pro 2019
Processor: 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
RAM: 384 GB
GPU: (2) AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

Picture out via DeckLink 8K Pro
Audio Out via Motu 112D

Tobias Heilmann

PostWed May 08, 2024 7:19 am

Any attempt to restore previous backup versions of the timeline using the timeline history yield the same result.
Boli Pura Media
Germany/Greece

System Info:

Resolve 19 b2
OS X 14.4,1

Audio Out via Motu 112D

Mircea

PostWed May 08, 2024 7:32 am

Tobias Heilmann wrote:R19b2

I am experiencing something similar. I did a rough selection of clips in the cut page (with the speed editor).

All of a sudden the clips were offline. But the clips in the timeline no longer show as individual clips. Every clip is now named: 24 Clips - Multiple Bins. All the references to the source clip, timecode, etc. are gone.

Exactly, the clips no longer have individual names, but a generic name, and also "Find in mediapool" function does not work anymore for these clips.

FotoFyn

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:20 am

That's exactly what I'm experiencing too. Clips suddenly appear offline and cannot be recreated, even though the material is there. It happens during the transition from editing to, for example, exporting. When I reinstall an older version of Davinci Resolve, there are no problems. Here, a Mac Pro Book M2 is also being used.

Tobias Heilmann

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:28 am

FotoFyn wrote:That's exactly what I'm experiencing too. Clips suddenly appear offline and cannot be recreated, even though the material is there. It happens during the transition from editing to, for example, exporting. When I reinstall an older version of Davinci Resolve, there are no problems. Here, a Mac Pro Book M2 is also being used.

So the clip information is still there, somewhere. That is hopeful to know. I thought the information was wiped, leaving the clip containers as empty shells on the timeline.
Boli Pura Media
Germany/Greece

System Info:

Resolve 19 b2
OS X 14.4,1

Audio Out via Motu 112D

FotoFyn

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:28 pm

I think I've figured out exactly what's wrong with this beta 19-2

If you go to the 'cut' page tab and drag video clips onto the timeline, everything works fine and normal.
However, if you go up and use 'Surce tape' and use 'inn and out' and then 'smart append', it looks like everything is fine too. But just by jumping over to the 'deliver' tab and back to, for example, the 'Edit' tab. Then what you've inserted via 'Surce tape' is marked as 'Media offline' and with other texts like file names, for example, they are renamed to '16 Clips Master'.

I find no way to get back to the normal world again. It seems impossible = it's smashed!
So it's not Speed Editor problem, but a problem with the "Surce Tape" and or "Append" function!

Tobias Heilmann

PostThu May 09, 2024 12:41 am

FotoFyn wrote:I think I've figured out exactly what's wrong with this beta 19-2

If you go to the 'cut' page tab and drag video clips onto the timeline, everything works fine and normal.
However, if you go up and use 'Surce tape' and use 'inn and out' and then 'smart append', it looks like everything is fine too. But just by jumping over to the 'deliver' tab and back to, for example, the 'Edit' tab. Then what you've inserted via 'Surce tape' is marked as 'Media offline' and with other texts like file names, for example, they are renamed to '16 Clips Master'.

I find no way to get back to the normal world again. It seems impossible = it's smashed!
So it's not Speed Editor problem, but a problem with the "Surce Tape" and or "Append" function!

That would describe my workflow exactly.
Boli Pura Media
Germany/Greece

System Info:

Resolve 19 b2
OS X 14.4,1

Audio Out via Motu 112D

gangolf

PostThu May 09, 2024 5:43 am

Same here. It does not depend on whether or not I use the speed editor, it's definitely a problem linked to the use of source tape.

Jamboo

PostThu May 09, 2024 11:41 am

Same problem Mac M1

Steve Alexander

PostThu May 09, 2024 12:14 pm

I just gave this a try using source tape and smart insert on Cut Page (using my Speed Editor, btw) and then jumped to the delivery page and then to the Edit Page. No issues were observed. This is on my MacBook with Studio 19b2 and Sonoma 14.4.1. There must be something else going on - maybe project settings or something about the media itself?

Update: Ha! After posting here I went back to Resolve and my timeline clips were offline. So just as the OP noted. Very odd. I'm trying to figure out why they are offline and if I find something I will report back.

Going back to the Cut Page with all those offline clips I added a few more clips from the 'source tape' using both smart edit and append (some with mouse and some with Speed Editor to see if there was a difference - there wasn't) and initially each clip was named '6 clips - Footage - Angle 1' and sure enough, switching to the edit page I could actually go inside these clips to see the underlying referenced media as if these were Multicam clips. Then I would exit the project and go back in and the clips were no longer named with 'Angle 1' and were no longer containers (i.e., the 'Open in Timeline' operation was no longer available) and of course, as with the OP, the media was offline.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

matthewpoland

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:00 pm

Same here, it destroyed more than 6 hours of my work :( It seems using the tape source view is merging all clips from the project into some kind of multiclip in my case of 341 clips. That's why the clips in the Edit page are named by the number of clips in the bin/project, and it's kind of in and out of that entire merged clip.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 23.55.10.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 23.55.10.png (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

jimijim

PostFri May 10, 2024 12:13 am

Has anyone solved this problem? Same issue here... a long Cut work just went offline...

DanMayers

PostFri May 10, 2024 5:04 pm

I have just posted regarding the exact issue in this feed. I hope there is a solution coming.

Mofessor

PostSat May 11, 2024 5:48 am

FotoFyn wrote:I think I've figured out exactly what's wrong with this beta 19-2

Exactly my issue.When selecting clips or selections from the source tape & I use these functions the clip added to the timeline shows the description '105 clips-Master-angle 1 'instead of the clip number. The when I go to edit page & or return to cut page those clips are "Media offline'. However if I make the in out selection & drag & drop to the timeline it's fine.

Mofessor

PostSat May 11, 2024 12:22 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I just gave this a try using source tape and smart insert on Cut Page (using my Speed Editor, btw) and then jumped to the delivery page and then to the Edit Page. No issues were observed. This is on my MacBook with Studio 19b2 and Sonoma 14.4.1. There must be something else going on - maybe project settings or something about the media itself?

Update: Ha! After posting here I went back to Resolve and my timeline clips were offline. So just as the OP noted. Very odd. I'm trying to figure out why they are offline and if I find something I will report back.

Going back to the Cut Page with all those offline clips I added a few more clips from the 'source tape' using both smart edit and append (some with mouse and some with Speed Editor to see if there was a difference - there wasn't) and initially each clip was named '6 clips - Footage - Angle 1' and sure enough, switching to the edit page I could actually go inside these clips to see the underlying referenced media as if these were Multicam clips. Then I would exit the project and go back in and the clips were no longer named with 'Angle 1' and were no longer containers (i.e., the 'Open in Timeline' operation was no longer available) and of course, as with the OP, the media was offline.

I'm having the exact same issue. I hope there's a fix soon.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat May 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Does anyone have a three clip project that shows this and can make a .dra and post a link to the archive?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Steve Alexander

PostSun May 12, 2024 3:04 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Does anyone have a three clip project that shows this and can make a .dra and post a link to the archive?

I might be able to put one together tomorrow, Peter. By asking this I assume you can’t reproduce the bug?

Update: Here's a sample Dra that shows the three clips offline. When I exported this archive the clips were online and claimed to each be - Angle 1 in name (and were compound clips on the timeline) but after export I imported the archive and saw that each clip was no longer a compound. Exactly what would have happened if I moved to the delivery page and back to the edit page, or simply closed and reopened the project.

Note that I added the original clips using mark in/out with the source tape on the cut page and this is what I got, just as described above.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q5Xn2c9v7nQTcWjK0Yq_uBW5vd3YElLz?usp=sharing

Credit to Casey Faris for the footage - thanks to his recent Resolve 19 VFX tutorial - it's a long one but a great watch:

aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 | Fusion Studio 19.0b2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

lucaimmesi

PostSun May 12, 2024 7:44 pm

Same issue here with DaVinci Resolve 19 beta 1 and 2. I'm not using the speed editor, just the keyboard and mouse. Clips go offline, and the editing is completely lost. I'm on a MacBook pro m3 pro, running Sonoma 14.3.
Director - Filmmaker - DaVinci Resolve 18 Certified Trainer

webdion

PostTue May 14, 2024 8:14 pm

same problem on beta 2
2 hours of work just wasted
worked in CUT tab in SOURCE TAPE in speed editor
Davinci programmers, please solve this problem !
https://ibb.co/7K7G2Px
➤ DaVinci Resolve Studio 19b2
➤ Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 15, 2024 2:44 am

I did the work and posted a link to the archive.

@Peter - did you determine what’s going on?

To others - anyone not seeing this bug in 19b2?
aka Barkinmadd

webdion

PostWed May 15, 2024 9:05 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I did the work and posted a link to the archive.

@Peter - did you determine what’s going on?

To others - anyone not seeing this bug in 19b2?

I had this error on my 19b2
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 15, 2024 12:52 pm

Anyone not seeing this bug? From what I can tell, everyone should be seeing this and yet we have not heard back from BMD - disappointed.
aka Barkinmadd

LUXProductions

PostWed May 15, 2024 7:15 pm

This same issue happened to me. I did hours of work in source tape and selected the clips using the Speed Editor IN and OUT buttons with the SMART INSERT button. Everything looked fine in the Cut Page and then when I went over to the Edit Page all of my clips on the timeline shows Media Offline.

This bug needs to be fixed ASAP! :x

MAC OS 14.4.1

DaVinci Resolve 19.2 Beta

carlomacchiavello

PostWed May 15, 2024 8:09 pm

Me too, I posted the bug some days ago

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 15, 2024 9:57 pm

May I ask to all of you reporting this defect why you don't respond to Peter's request for a short DRA illustrating the issue? I provided a link to a DRA but I fear it has been lost in all the #metoo responses.
aka Barkinmadd

webdion

PostThu May 16, 2024 7:37 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Does anyone have a three clip project that shows this and can make a .dra and post a link to the archive?

sent you a private message
DRA
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

lucaimmesi

PostThu May 16, 2024 8:24 am

Mofessor wrote: Exactly my issue.When selecting clips or selections from the source tape & I use these functions the clip added to the timeline shows the description '105 clips-Master-angle 1 'instead of the clip number. The when I go to edit page & or return to cut page those clips are "Media offline'. However if I make the in out selection & drag & drop to the timeline it's fine.

So far this is the only temporary solution I've found. Just use drag and drop.
Director - Filmmaker - DaVinci Resolve 18 Certified Trainer

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu May 16, 2024 8:40 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YoPT5M ... sp=sharing

Cut one timeline just using the 'source tape' and the other with 'multi source' enabled. Everything went offline (e.g. showing '5 clips - master' as source) when I switched to another app and back.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 09.35.58.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 09.35.58.png (19.77 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Exporting a .dra (project archive) then brought all but one of the timeline clips back online. (So that may be a workaround to get clips to relink for others.)

19b2 on M1 MBAir

PS

1. Great to see that folks are using the 'source tape' feature - other NLEs could really do with implementing this

2. It's a beta. There will be bugs.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 16, 2024 10:36 am

Thanks for those that shared description of process and the project. We are looking into it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robert Niessner

PostThu May 16, 2024 1:17 pm

webdion wrote:same problem on beta 2

LUXProductions wrote:This same issue happened to me. I did hours of work in source tape and selected the clips using the Speed Editor IN and OUT buttons with the SMART INSERT button. Everything looked fine in the Cut Page and then when I went over to the Edit Page all of my clips on the timeline shows Media Offline.

You both are aware that this is a BETA version and you shouldn't do critical work on this?
I understand that such issues are annoying - but you knew that something like this is bound to happen when you decide to install a BETA...

I am still on 17.4.6 because of several long going projects and have 19 beta only installed onto a test system.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

webdion

PostThu May 16, 2024 4:51 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
webdion wrote:same problem on beta 2

LUXProductions wrote:This same issue happened to me. I did hours of work in source tape and selected the clips using the Speed Editor IN and OUT buttons with the SMART INSERT button. Everything looked fine in the Cut Page and then when I went over to the Edit Page all of my clips on the timeline shows Media Offline.

You both are aware that this is a BETA version and you shouldn't do critical work on this?
I understand that such issues are annoying - but you knew that something like this is bound to happen when you decide to install a BETA...

I am still on 17.4.6 because of several long going projects and have 19 beta only installed onto a test system.

it's not a new feature that worked all the time, and in version 19 they broke it ;)
yes we realised that this is a beta version but we thought that new features would not work well.
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

Robert Niessner

PostThu May 16, 2024 4:59 pm

webdion wrote:it's not a new feature that worked all the time, and in version 19 they broke it ;)
yes we realised that this is a beta version but we thought that new features would not work well.

There might always be cross-dependencies to something they change in the code, breaking working features.

So I am grateful for you brave guys daring to install the very latest versions onto a live system and reporting issues back.
So we all get a less buggy release later on. :)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Steve Alexander

PostThu May 16, 2024 8:14 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:So I am grateful for you brave guys daring to install the very latest versions onto a live system and reporting issues back.
So we all get a less buggy release later on. :)

I am going to take this comment at face value as genuine gratitude. I too am thankful for folks who put these betas through real-world testing. In the end, the rest of us benefit.

I also agree with your earlier comment that betas shouldn't be used for mission critical work and this creates a bit of a conundrum because it's hard to test real-world conditions without using the product in mission-critical situations (or spending the additional time to repeat real-world tests on beta systems).
aka Barkinmadd

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 16, 2024 8:26 pm

My experience here is that there are myriad bugs that exist in Resolve. I expect BMD will be much more likely to fix bugs found during beta when the devs are actually in bug-fix mode. Thus I think it’s almost my duty to myself as well as others to use the beta as much as possible to make it more likely that bugs - whatever their origin - are fixed.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Steve Alexander

PostThu May 16, 2024 9:13 pm

Nice take, Joe :-)
aka Barkinmadd

filmninja

PostFri May 17, 2024 3:19 am

+1 Same, same, same. Cut page - Source Tape - Speed Editor - Smart Insert. Clips all gone.

Thank you for getting on this Peter. This is my primary use for my Speed Editor and I love the workflow.

WOODCRAFTCZ

PostFri May 17, 2024 4:18 pm

Hi guys, im experiencing the exact same problem, I actually just posted a thread about it before seeing this, anyway im commenting just to mention the work around I have for this needing to restore the projects that have been corrupted by this bug.

SOLUTION (TEMP & LONG)

im working around this by selecting the clip in timeline and the corresponding clip in media pool, right click on timeline clip while both are selected and conform locking it with media pool but this isn't a long term solution.

Here is my thread https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=201619

gangolf

PostFri May 17, 2024 5:03 pm

I‘ve tried that already in the first place - didn‘t work for me

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSat May 18, 2024 4:13 pm

POTENTIAL WORKAROUND:

Export the offline timeline as XML or OTIO and reimport. This is putting clips back online for me in very limited testing.

FOR SAFETY: select all and 'flatten multicam' to unnest.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta