Router mnemonics shared between ATEM and Router

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joel Cogan

Router mnemonics shared between ATEM and Router

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Can Router mnemonics be shared between the ATEM switchers and the router? I am looking to keep naming conventions through routing.

Thanks

Liam Kennedy

Re: Router mnemonics shared between ATEM and Router

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 pm

I have NO CLUE what you are asking. Can you ask the question in a different way maybe? Sorry.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

James Hope

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 10:17 pm

I'll reword the question (because I understand it). Can the source mnemonics that appear on the ATEM control panel software/hardware be the same as the ones on the Videohub?

From my understanding, no, it's not possible at this time. You have to maintain the lists separately.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Maybe give some examples? It's all pretty vague to me so far. Try again?

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm

That would actually be pretty powerful. The idea is that a VideoHub already has the source label assigned to it. VideoHub output 8 is called 'Camera A' for example. When routed to am ATEM switcher, why can't the ATEM be aware that VideoHub output 8 is now routed to ATEM Switcher input 4, which means that input 4 on your ATEM switcher should be called 'Camera A'.

The answer, so far as I know it, is no.

But looking at this particular feature, it should go a step further. This is one area where a Tricaster is actually kinda cool. It can (ironically) link to a VideoHub router. Then in your software control you just put all of the cameras that you want from the router right there. The Tricaster will deal with routing each source to an available input on the fly. Or so that is how it was explained to me.

Wouldn't it be cool if on my 2M/E switcher I could add as many sources as I have in my VideoHub? Then when I need one of those available to switch to, it just automagically routes it to an input that isn't in use on the fly.

Taking this a step further, why not convert the ATEM switcher in to a module that just slides in to the Universal VideoHub. All inputs are available to the system. Want a second M/E? Add a second module. Third M/E? One more module.

Anyhow, none of this can be done today on native BMD gear. Sure is fun to dream though.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Ben... now that is something that makes sense. Thanks for filling in the blanks (that I had).

Joel Cogan

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:06 am

Too bad,

Other devices can read the router mnemonics and use it for information like under monitor displays. I guess BmD hasn't gotten it's own stuff to talk back and forth yet. If there is a way, I would love to hear from the minds at BmD. This would be a great feature, and move you closer to the big boys, and their gear.

Joel Cogan

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 am

James Hope wrote:I'll reword the question (because I understand it). Can the source mnemonics that appear on the ATEM control panel software/hardware be the same as the ones on the Videohub?

From my understanding, no, it's not possible at this time. You have to maintain the lists separately.

Close, but you would take the information from the router. It would be larger and it would feed the switcher inputs, along with monitoring and other devices.

In my configuration, I have a 72x72 feeding 2 ATEM's. Also there are feeds to a multiviewer, edit systems, cg, monitors, ect. The multiviewer will read the info from the router and display the proper names under each virtual monitor. It would be great if a route change into the switcher would have the name of the source follow into the switcher, both for the multi display, and on the control panel.

Hope this helps the understanding a little.

James Hope

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 3:39 am

Benjamin Higginbotham wrote:Taking this a step further, why not convert the ATEM switcher in to a module that just slides in to the Universal VideoHub. All inputs are available to the system. Want a second M/E? Add a second module. Third M/E? One more module.

Anyhow, none of this can be done today on native BMD gear. Sure is fun to dream though.

Ross Video have done that exact thing with their Carbonite Extreme. They just put a Carbonite (their mid-level switcher) card into one of their NK routers. It works really well.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

JohnNJNY

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 pm

9 years later, has this great idea been solved yet?

Weston Woodbury

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 pm

+1

Lol, plus names shared to multiviewers, hyperdecks and teranex stuff should be able to read the source names, etc. All these devices are on same network in most cases, same data ecosystem. 3rd party software can already fetch the names of sources from BMD devices, right now. So this is very seemingly possible... and tally should follow throughout (be attached to the source) as a much better alternative to the super wonky way BMD MV boxes get tally right now.

Perhaps each of the 'slave' devices could have a switch that turns that input's name into "inherit" mode. And once device is set as 'master' be it a router or atem.

Now is a very good time to develop this advancement, with the new very low cost 80X and 120X 12G routers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to Live Production