Hyperdeck V8.4 Record to card and file

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andy_L

Hyperdeck V8.4 Record to card and file

PostMon May 06, 2024 5:48 am

Hi Gang,

I am currently testing the recording to a network location function with my Studio HD Plus, whcih is working fine, however when the network location is set up the unit does not simultaneously record to SD card. Is that a 'feature' of the Hyperdeck Studio HD plus, or is this an across the board limitation?

rak500

Re: Hyperdeck V8.4 Record to card and file

PostMon May 06, 2024 8:54 am

Hi there,

The HyperDecks cannot record in two places at once. There are no means to have record redundancy on a single unit.
If you want both a record on a shared folder and on a SD or SSD, then you need 2 HyperDecks.

The HyperDecks Extremes 4K and 8K and the Studio 4K Pro have NVMe slots that can offer cache recording.
This helps in making sure that media is recorded, or rather cached, even if the network connection to the shared folder is lost, and will start to write again on said folder when connection is re-established, but it's not clear what happens if this particular folder doesn't 'come back'.

Andy_L

PostSun May 12, 2024 11:03 pm

Thanks Greg

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Yet another BMD 'too good to be true' situation.

In my testing on a closed network (no other network traffic, dedicated enterprise switch) with a Synology 8 bay NAS, the Studio HD plus struggles to maintain a constant write to the NAS in all codecs. Sometimes it'll write for 10 minutes. Sometimes only for 2 minutes.

The NAS has loads of space, is configiured in Synology RAID. I use it for streaming from EVS and it will handle 6 streams of ProeRes in real time no problem, so not sure what the issue is with 1 stream of any codec from the Hyperdeck! :?

DylanReeve

PostTue May 14, 2024 7:24 am

Wouldn't it be amazing if this was possible!? :)

The best case scenario here would be to use a piece of software that monitors the Hyperdeck transport status and whenever it sees it leaving Record mode it would connect to the FTP server and pull down the most recent clip.

I don't know offhand if such a thing exists, however.

Howard Roll

PostTue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm

On paper the 4k and 8k hyperdeck extremes can record to 3 locations simultaneously, primary media drive, cache drive, and network storage. Whether all of the new features showcased during NAB are ready for prime time remains to be seen.

Good Luck

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue May 14, 2024 10:42 pm

Andy_L wrote:Thanks Greg

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Yet another BMD 'too good to be true' situation.

In my testing on a closed network (no other network traffic, dedicated enterprise switch) with a Synology 8 bay NAS, the Studio HD plus struggles to maintain a constant write to the NAS in all codecs. Sometimes it'll write for 10 minutes. Sometimes only for 2 minutes.

The NAS has loads of space, is configiured in Synology RAID. I use it for streaming from EVS and it will handle 6 streams of ProeRes in real time no problem, so not sure what the issue is with 1 stream of any codec from the Hyperdeck! :?
Records fine for me on Drobo NAS, with HD ProRes 422 Codec…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Return to Live Production