Multiple Streaming Bridges?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bill Severance

Multiple Streaming Bridges?

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 3:04 am

Is it possible to have multiple Streaming Bridges on the same local network each receiving separate streams over the internet from multiple Mini Pro's or Web Presenter HD's provided that different port numbers are assigned on the sending and receiving ends? If so, what ports other than 1935 are recommended? Will port forwarding be automatically set up on firewall/router for ports other than 1935?
Bill Severance, Technical Advisor
Lake Region Television
PEG Access Serving 11 Maine Communities

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Multiple Streaming Bridges?

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 3:01 am

Yes, this should be possible. You would just need to configure each Streaming Bridge to use a different port using the ATEM Setup utility over USB (the Streaming Bridges would all use the same public IP address, assuming they are on a local network behind a firewall using NAT).

This setup is described on pages 130-132 of the ATEM Mini manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 3980810000

The ATEM Setup utility will attempt to configure port forwarding on the router using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), but this may or may not work. Depending on the router and its configuration, you might have to manually configure port forwarding for each port used to the corresponding internal IP address for the Streaming Bridge on the local network.

In terms of what ports to use, it's kind of up to you. Port 1935 is the default for RTMP, but some other streaming platforms use other ports. Facebook Live uses port 443 (for RTMPS), for example, and I've also seen some services use 1936, 2935, and 2936. The main thing is to avoid any ports that may already be used by other well known services (such as mail or web servers) that are publicly accessible through the same IP address. Here is a decent list of some commonly used ports for different services, that you might want to avoid: https://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/ ... ports.html

One other thing to note is that some ISPs may restrict inbound usage of certain ports, in part to discourage people from running public servers on consumer-oriented internet connections. If this is the case, you would need to stick to ports for which the ISP allows inbound connections.

Bill Severance

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks, Dave, for your very detailed reply that confirmed what I was thinking. I'll post back if there are any problems after we purchase our second streaming bridge.
Bill Severance, Technical Advisor
Lake Region Television
PEG Access Serving 11 Maine Communities

lileimaginair

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:39 pm

I have two web presenter that I want to send to my control room which has 2 streambridges.
When I configure one or the other, it works. But when I want my two links to work with two contents, the second cannot connect. I wonder if it's the forwording port that needs to be adjusted differently. I am using port 1935. What else should I use? is this what is causing me a problem? THANKS!

Return to Live Production