Remote control of Blackmagic Camera App

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matthew Bailey

Remote control of Blackmagic Camera App

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 pm

Hi all, first time poster here so apologies if I am not doing anything correctly.

I have recently bought an Atem Mini Pro for a live production that I am looking to produce, hopefully starting with a few weeks.
Due to not having a significant amount of money to buy cameras actually fit for purpose, I have turned to the Blackmagic Camera app on iOS. I am planning to use two iPhones running the Blackmagic camera app, connected to the Atem via a usb C to HDMI adapter.

When I'm actually running the live stream, the phones will obviously be mounted to a tripod. This means that I won't be able to move them or really touch them at all in so that I can make sure I don't disturb the feed in any way.
I'd ideally like to be able to adjust settings such as focus, shutter speed, ISO, or maybe even which lens is currently being used. Essentially, what I'm looking to do is remote control the whole app.

Because of this, I did some research and found that Blackmagic has an iPad app that allows for remote control of their own cameras. However, this does not work with the Blackmagic camera app at this time.

Therefore, I would like to know if anyone has any alternative ideas that could apply to my situation, or I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but maybe this could be something that the camera app developers can add at some point?

Just to reiterate, I'm completely new here so apologies if my post is in the wrong format or place.

Thanks!

Somliga

Re: Remote control of Blackmagic Camera App

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

Late reply here, but I just stumbled across this. Kind of a workaround, using Shortcuts.

I'm not allowed to post the YouTube URL, but the video is titled "Remote Controlling the Blackmagic Camera App for iOS" and posted by Adam Tow.

Hope it's helpful. If someone else knows of a more direct and granular remote control, please chime in.

Return to Live Production