ATEM Mini Pro ISO HDMI Output to Macbook flickers

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TizianoSoprano

ATEM Mini Pro ISO HDMI Output to Macbook flickers

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:02 pm

Hello,
I have an issue with my ATEM Mini Pro ISO:
When I connect my Atem Mini and my Macbook with an HDMI Cable and a Video Capture Card, the signal I get gets disrupted multiple times per second. Every time it flickers, the color bars appear, as if my Macbook isn't recieving a signal at all from.

This is where it gets weird:
When I hook up the ATEM with an external monitor, it works fine. Equally, when I connect my Camera to my Macbook directly using the Video Capture card, I also get a clean signal. So the ATEM and the Macbook seem to work fine of their own, but when I connect them, they start misbehaving.

My setup is pretty basic. Two Sony Cameras feed into the ATEM. My guess is, the problem is caused by some setting I unknowingly changed in the ATEM Control Software and which is now messing with the signal and is confusing the Macbook. But O couldn't find any solution.

Maybe someone has had a similar problem.

BennoZ

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO HDMI Output to Macbook flickers

PostSat May 04, 2024 9:07 am

Same problem here, it is because of the capture card. I have three cheap capture cards and they capture great when connecting a camera to my Macbook but when using the HDMI output of my Atem to the capture card it keeps flickering.
The solution is a better capture card like the Blackmagic one.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 05, 2024 11:34 pm

I would expect one to either record with the ATEM, or send the HDMI output to something like a HyperDeck.

Recording on the Laptop via capture card is...unusual.

Why?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Blair Christensen

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:47 am

Jim Simon wrote:I would expect one to either record with the ATEM, or send the HDMI output to something like a HyperDeck.

Recording on the Laptop via capture card is...unusual.

Why?
Your comment is unusual.

There are other reasons you might want to get the video into a computer other than recording. Let alone recording on a computer may be the best solution for a particular use-case. Do you somehow know why TizianoSoprano wants video into their computer?

Blair Christensen

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:59 am

TizianoSoprano wrote:Hello,
I have an issue with my ATEM Mini Pro ISO:
When I connect my Atem Mini and my Macbook with an HDMI Cable and a Video Capture Card, the signal I get gets disrupted multiple times per second. Every time it flickers, the color bars appear, as if my Macbook isn't recieving a signal at all from.

This is where it gets weird:
When I hook up the ATEM with an external monitor, it works fine. Equally, when I connect my Camera to my Macbook directly using the Video Capture card, I also get a clean signal. So the ATEM and the Macbook seem to work fine of their own, but when I connect them, they start misbehaving.

My setup is pretty basic. Two Sony Cameras feed into the ATEM. My guess is, the problem is caused by some setting I unknowingly changed in the ATEM Control Software and which is now messing with the signal and is confusing the Macbook. But O couldn't find any solution.

Maybe someone has had a similar problem.
Just to clarify; Was it working before? Or have you always had this issue?

TizianoSoprano

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:23 am

Thanks to everybody for the advice.
I solved it by replacing my cheap capture card with the Blackmagic Recorder 3G the way BennoZ suggested.
Now it works just fine.

BennoZ

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm

Great it did work for you. Also the colors are correct with this device (legal vs full range).

Return to Live Production